Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNot just the definition...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10616
10616, Not just the definition...
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Oct-14-01 04:48 PM
...of chattel slavery but also the psychological effects of chattel slavery for Africans and whites need to be learned, including in contemporary societies. Europeans and Americans (colonists) engaged in the chattel slavery of Africans. It was the institution that made America a global power. "White guilt" as a psychological phenomenon is a bi-product of chattel slavery in Europe and the Americas...many see slavery as a necessary evil.

Another psychological effect of chattel slavery on Black & African people is the idea that the system (and whites) exist to oppress, dominate and destroy us...and that Black Americans are forever lost.

There is a time for generalizing and a time for an honest look at a time period that affects us all today whether we are in America or Africa or Europe.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own"
--Paulo Coelho, "The Alchemist"

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix" (and a Buddhist philosophy)

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"