Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectThese guys think he's doing good but what do they know??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=99459&mesg_id=99652
99652, These guys think he's doing good but what do they know??
Posted by Beamer6178, Fri Oct-14-11 02:18 PM
It's nice that actual FOOTBALL PLAYERS recognize his marked improvement.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbpZG

Alex Smith is the No. 3 ranked passer in the NFL. And on Wednesday he received some nice compliments from NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner, who included him on his list of the Top 5 quarterbacks.

Kurt Warner’s Top 5 Quarterbacks (Through Week 5)
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Alex Smith
5. Matthew Stafford

There was a time, prior to the 2009 season, when the 49ers wanted Warner to replace Smith as the team's quarterback. But Warner decided to return to the Arizona Cardinals for one season.

Here is what Warner had to say about Smith on NFL Total Access:

"My big surprise: Alex Smith comes in at No. 4. A guy I probably didn't expect to make this list all year long, but he's got his team at 4-1 right now. He's playing as consistent as anybody. And what I've seen the last couple weeks is him making the big play, something that he hadn't done up to that point in the season."

Smith threw three touchdown passes Sunday in the 49ers' 48-3 rout of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"You've got to play this position, not just week to week but you've got to show some consistency at this position," Warner said. "This (list) is about the quarterback playing the best football at this particular time; not just the best game, but the best football. Alex Smith has been doing it all year long, as well as those other four guys that are on that list."

NFL Network analyst Torry Holt added, "It was the first time last week that I saw him actually drop back and just deliver the football without second-guessing anything."

Read more: Alex Smith makes Kurt Warner's list
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story