Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectIt's because he's a #1 pick tho.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=99459&mesg_id=99579
99579, It's because he's a #1 pick tho.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-11-11 08:11 AM
If he was drafted late first-round and he started coming around this year, people would be far less critical.

But when you're a first pick, you don't get the luxury of time or multiple coaches before people call you a bust. You're essentially an NFL lotto pick, you should be one of the key cogs helping lead your team to the playoffs/Super Bowl. When you're a #1 pick QB, even more pressure.

Your career is determined on your success regardless of the coaches you have. Until Alex Smith does something in the playoffs, it really doesn't matter what he accomplishes or how much he's improved under a new coach-- the public will continue to view him as "that underachieving #1 pick."

I realize the point of your post is to point out that Smith's development has been held back by shitty coaches, and I'm not denying that. But you can't blame people for continuing to see him as a bust when even San Francisco fans are praising his potential as a middle-of-the-pack-at-best guy.

(As someone praying for Blaine Gabbert, I sympathize deeply with this post, I hope you understand.)