Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI'm fairly excited for the season to start
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=94434&mesg_id=94438
94438, I'm fairly excited for the season to start
Posted by OldPro, Tue Mar-27-12 05:16 PM
I understand where Hood is coming from... going into a season where rebuilding is the prime objective can be somewhat disheartening for fans. But outside of winning the reason I go to the park and take time to sit down and watch a game is to watch exciting ballplayers. This is something the A's have lacked big time since... well truthfully since the early 2000s.

A few weeks ago the A's were televising a spring training game vs The Reds while I was doing a shit load of yard work. I had the game on in the family room and found myself coming back in to check on Weeks, Manny & Cespedes. It hit me that it had been a long time since the A's had hitters that made you want to stop what you were doing and watch them hit.

Besides those 3 I'm really curious to see how guys like Cowgill, Reddick, Donaldson, Sogard and Allan do. I guess the fact I've seen a lot of guys on this roster play in AAA makes it more interesting to me.

As Hood alluded to, the pitching is something of a wild card this year. Sounds like the prospects will be split between the minors and the back end of the A's rotation. I'm not sure what to expect from them really. However I am hopefully Melvin has successfully addressed the defense... shit was just awful last year. But then our manager sucked ass and defense is the type of thing that can be fixed with the right coaching and focus.

Truth be told I'm not ready just to write off the season either... when you have this many variables going into a year almost anything could happen. The A's could lose a 100 or win the West... it's just going to depend on how the pitching does and the young hitters develop... stranger things have happened.

If you pressed me to pick a number on wins I'd have to go with something like 78... but it's spring and as they say hope springs eternal.

Go A's

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/