Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectyou know what, forget it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=88757&mesg_id=88865
88865, you know what, forget it.
Posted by brown sugar, Sat May-12-12 09:57 PM
i had a whole scathing response typed up in here but the bottom line is we are not conversing on the same wave-length right now. i'd rather concede defeat and at least retain some semblance of legitimacy to our discourse so that it can even educate/be helpful to even one person on this message board. ultimately, we both agree that both words are inappropriate and shouldn't be used.

i agree with your argument, but you are stuck on the fact that i used "retarded" above and think for some reason i'm backpedaling or defending it as a "joke" after the fact. if you really look at the context in which i used it i think you'll see what i mean. guru specifically put "retarded" and "faggot" on the same level and i fundamentally believe that -- WHILE BOTH ARE OFFENSIVE -- such a comparison minimizes the unique hate aspects inherent in "faggot" that (in my opinion) are not embedded in "retarded." so i said such a comparison was "retarded" as an absurdist statement to emphasize the irrationality of the comparison. maybe it was a poor attempt at humor, but i stand by the intent.

anyways, at least you're a decent guy on the internet and opposed to using both words instead of someone who just spews offensive and hate-filled language. so i don't want to waste time having a bitchfest with you. in the end, we are just arguing entirely different concepts so it's all good. it's the nature of the medium (message boards, you'll agree, are probably not the ideal debate format).

btw, when i said "retracted" i should have said "clarified" (see will's statement beginning with "I'm sorry..."). i was just trying to point out no one else thought my "joke defense" was "awful."