Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRandom Coaches on Jeremy Lin
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=88436&mesg_id=88668
88668, Random Coaches on Jeremy Lin
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Feb-10-12 05:01 PM
Coaches Say Knicks Have Found Someone Special
By MARK VIERA

Jeremy Lin has been the biggest story in the N.B.A. this week. He’s a Harvard graduate who has emerged from nowhere to give three straight command performances as the Knicks’ point guard. In the process, he is impressing people who make their living in basketball. MARK VIERA

Jeff Van Gundy

FORMER COACH OF THE KNICKS AND THE ROCKETS

“His game makes sense. You see a lot of guards in today’s game who shoot when they should pass and pass when they should shoot; their games don’t make sense. They may be athletically gifted, but the game is hard for them with decision-making. Lin is deceptively athletic, and he knows when to pass and when to shoot. That seems simple enough, but it’s not.”

Steve Donahue

BOSTON COLLEGE COACH AND FORMER COACH AT CORNELL

“He’s got something. He’s got pace and agility and balance. I think he’s got all that. In some ways, the N.B.A. is easier than college for a kid like that. Coming off a ball screen that well just translates to the next level. He can see it and make better decisions. I think D’Antoni is the perfect coach for him. All I saw the last three games were ball screens. That’s basically what Steve Nash did, and no one thought he would be an M.V.P. coming out of Santa Clara.”

James Jones

COACH AT YALE

“The one thing that sticks out in your mind is that he does a little bit of everything. When he was in this league, he was in the top five of like nine statistical categories. Can he sustain what’s he’s doing now? Right now, he’s in the right spot in the right time. The question for him will be what he does on the defensive end of the floor.”

Zach Spiker

ARMY COACH AND FORMER CORNELL ASSISTANT COACH

“To me, it was very clear this guy was driven. There are a ton of guys who are talented who go overseas and you never hear from them. But he’s made the best of his situation better than anyone. So it’s not totally surprising what’s unfolding.”

Rex Walters

SAN FRANCISCO COACH; ASIAN-AMERICAN FORMER N.B.A. PLAYER

“I think the biggest question isn’t whether he has an N.B.A. game; it’s whether he can break through and be a true rotation guy, whether someone can give him the ball and let them run their team. He’s proven that he can play in the league. He might be a little of a throwback. He’s not a blow-by guy, but in terms of being able to run a team and make the right play, he’s demonstrated he can do that.”

Kerry Keating

COACH AT SANTA CLARA

“He’s got a high appreciation-to-entitlement ratio. He’s the polar opposite of a lot of kids who were told they were going to be in the N.B.A. by now. It’s a nice story, but it’s not too surprising. I remember his senior year at Harvard — everyone was wondering if he could make it because he was putting up some numbers and affecting the game in a lot of ways. He knows what he is. He’s not trying to be something he’s not.”

Mo Cassara

HOFSTRA COACH AND FORMER B.C. ASSISTANT COACH

“I really don’t think it’s a fluke. I think he’s got the approach, the mentality. Now he’s got an opportunity. And when given the opportunity, guys who have talent and drive, they’ll take advantage of it.”