Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectTommy Amaker interviewed about Lin (Swipe):
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=88436&mesg_id=88641
88641, Tommy Amaker interviewed about Lin (Swipe):
Posted by Castro, Thu Feb-09-12 08:05 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/story/2012-02-08/tommy-amaker-harvard-jeremy-lin/53014824/1?loc=interstitialskip

Q&A: Harvard's Tommy Amaker on Knicks star Jeremy Lin
By J. Michael Falgoust, USA TODAY

Harvard coach Tommy Amaker inherited Jeremy Lin when he took over the program in 2007-08 season. Amaker is 86-53 with the Crimson. With Lin two years ago, Amaker led them to a 21-8 record and into a postseason tournament for the first time since 1945-46. Amaker was an All-America player at Duke and was drafted by the Seattle SuperSonics in 1987. Amaker has Harvard off to its best start in program history this season at 20-2. He spoke to USA TODAY's J. Michael Falgoust about Lin this week:

Q: Are your surprised Jeremy has broken out so fast and unexpectedly after being unknown in NBA circles?

A: To have an opportunity at that level you need some things to fall right for you. Given some of the circumstances that the Knicks were dealt with some injuries and the backcourt having open spots … I do think that style and that system is something that would fit him well. He's a hard-charging, passionate, aggressive player. He's very deceptive in his gears, in his athleticism and people are seeing that he's a playmaker.

STORY: Knicks system suits Jeremy Lin
Q: How good of a player was he at Harvard?

A: I used to talk about him in front of our team and make mention I thought he and (Kentucky's) John Wall were the two best playmakers in college basketball. Obviously, with me saying that about one of our kids at Harvard went over in a way where players were joking or laughing, even Jeremy. But we always felt he was that caliber of a player that could be on that stage in college basketball.

Q: What is he like off the court?

A: He's very humble in who he is. He has many layers to him as a person, his faith is very meaningful to him. He has great peace of mind about who he is but he's also very passionate about basketball and he wants to go prove it each and every day. When given those chances he certainly knows what to do with it. I'm so happy for him because he's a such a deserving kid to have neat things come his way. If you talk to anybody who's had any history with him they'd echo some of the things I'm saying. There are many people in life who you're happy to see them doing well and having good things coming their way. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be thrilled for his success.

Q: It sounds like he'd rather get lost in the crowd rather than stand out, which is going to be hard to do in New York City?

A: There's a layer to him that he's uncomfortable with all the attention. He's sensitive as to how things are thought of with his teammates. That's how it was here. This is his profession now. When he was here and things started to explode that way in college as he helped us grow Harvard basketball, he became somewhat of a cult figure around here and when we'd go on the road to play. He'd be a little uncomfortable with all that because it would elevate him to a status above his (teammates). That's not who he is. He wants to be continually thought of as the same person, the same guy. It's a different world and a different level now. It's what he does for a living. Doing it in New York? That's amazing.

Q: What influences him the most?

A: His parents. Wonderful folks. They love seeing him grow and develop. It's just a magical story about this kid, the journey he's been on, the road that he's traveled and seeing where he is now it's incredible. He's very religious. He's true to his faith. That was very important to him. He didn't stray from that (at Harvard). He was pretty dedicated, pretty focused. The ways that he lived his life wasn't complicated. That's what makes him such a unique guy. All this can happen around him but he has a center, a balance of keeping things in perspective and handling things the right way and somehow when you are like that you'll be amazed how many blessing s come your way.

Q: How would you describe what Jeremy has meant to Harvard basketball, which wasn't on the map until he emerged?

A: He was one of the ones that helped us put this thing in motion. We inherited him when he got here and he took off as a player. We were thrilled to ride him as he took us along the way and we were able to grow and bring in some other kids. He led in not only how he played but how he conducted himself. He was our captain and certainty we've tried to continue on that path since his departure. Make no mistake about it, Jeremy was in the middle of this whole new beginning for us.

Q: You said earlier that he had a "cult" following in college. What did you see that made you say that?

A: As he became a senior in this program, people were fascinated with seeing him play. I think the layer of Harvard, being an Asian-American kid, there were a lot of layers to him. And then being darn good, a lot of things made him a very unqiue and interesting kid. That's why people are fascinated now to see how well he's doing. When we played at Columbia, when we went to New York City and it was just an amazing ordeal to see the various communities to come see this kid and embrace him and how he handled everything. I'm sure he's going to handle this the same way, with grace and humility and then go perform