Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectMy Observations Panthers At Skins
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=87653&mesg_id=87887
87887, My Observations Panthers At Skins
Posted by Dae021, Mon Nov-05-12 11:13 AM
- The Steelers gave the league the blueprint on how to defend Griff. They are taking away the edges and playing back. They're keying on the on the seam route after a playfake. Which is why Josh Morgan got blown up TWICE yesterday.

- Ok so i've been pretty complimentary about Kyle this year, but he called a bad game yesterday. I feel like he didn't adjust to what the panthers were doing outside of that one drive where they were running the pistol and triple option. At somepoint in thr 4th quarter I feel like Griff stopped listening to the playbook and went for self. Hence the crazy pinwheel dive for a first down and such. He's our best player and the rest of the guys just aren't helping him out.

- Offensive line had their worst game of the season. 4 Man rush and they pressured all game long. The panthers did an incredible job of collapsing the pocket and not allowing Griff to get outside because that's when he can hurt you. Tyler Polumbus got Reggie white bitchslapped yesterday. It was shameful. The interior line has to do a better job of either turning their man a particular way to allow Griff an escape route or just be better. They got Confused on stunts and twists and got beat at the point of attack.

- While we're talking about blocking i'd like to point out that Evan Royster is our 3rd down, but can not pick up a block. There were 2 plays in the red zone that were killed because Royster couldn't sustain or pick up a block. On the 4th down play in the 1st half the corner ran right at Royster almost falling down, but because Royster didn't just take him off his feet, the corner closes down the outside lane and in the process takes away the cutback for Griff with no pass option on this play it was doomed at this point. The othre was a pass play in the redzone where a blitzing safety just ran right through royster and got to Griff. These are 2 small moments in the game that change games and if he's hot up to the task then guess what get him outta there.

- Hankerson should not be on this team next year. He can't catch. Griff placed that deep throw in his hands. the defenders didn't deflect it, the ball hit him in his hands and he dropped it. No excuse, on a team that doesnt' have any margin for error when he drops those passes it hurts doubly. He needs to go after this year.

- I'm not really sure why people have been so hard on Josh Morgan. He's been the best reciever on our team. Santana has all the tds' but Morgan has been catching balls and has been the best blocker we have on the roster. He took two huge shots yesterday and only had 1 drop. Let #15 cook he's working.

- The defense had a decent game. They got walked up and down the field but it was realyl Cam that fucked them up. Hall got held on the Williams TD, but it's Hall so he's not going to get that call anymore this year.

(speaking of that play, the sidejudge BLEW the whistle yes you messed up and cost a team a td, own up to it and blow the play dead where you blew the whistle and then start again. Instead they just lied and gave them the TD. That's shameful officiating. Yes he blew the whistle inadvertantly but hey that's the rule)

Back to the defense. As bad as Hall has been his technique this week was better than it normally is. I think that incident last week humbled and focused him for the most part. When defending down the field Deangelo got his head around and made a play on the ball, Josh was in the exact same position, but never got his head around and got scored on. On the one huge mistake I think that was Madieu again, plus Deangelo dove down to take away the flat but didnt' realize the wr kept his soft 9 going. since Madieu never saw the route to begin with there was no one there. that's going to be a play that they watch on tape next week and its going to hurt because they had done a decent job of containing the passing attack. Even with that 80 yard play Cam threw for 224. The secondary actually did a decent job yesterday.

- I think its' time for the Brandon Banks experiment to end. His supposed speed in the option game hasn't helped and he's nto large enough to fight for 2 yards when he needs it.

- So lets say we're in the EXACT same position next year at this time does the seat finally get hot for Shanny? The thing that's concerning me and this is a coaching thing is team discipline. We're the most penalized team in the league and costing ourselves chances to win with these mistakes. So when does Shanny and Haz finaly get to be held accountible for all of this?

- So i'm wondering where those people who said Brain Orakpo is overrated are at now? Notice how sharply Ryan kerrigan's production has fallen without Rak on the other side. I mean he's not even getting CLOSE to sacks now. Meanwhile Rob Jackson is taking on the opposing team's best lineman and getting pressure on the qb pretty consistently during games. Folks need to start watching taht line play, because we're getting punched in the mouth in the trenches. Coefield has been good, Jarvis has disappeared. Kedric Golston still getting snaps.

- All in all we're not a good team.