Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectMy Observations Week 4 Against Tampa Bay
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=87653&mesg_id=87802
87802, My Observations Week 4 Against Tampa Bay
Posted by Dae021, Mon Oct-01-12 02:23 PM
- I'm really starting to like the relationship between RG and Kyle. They're adjusting to what teams are givign them, as well as adjusting to protecting their qb. The Bucs were looking for that option all afternoon, but they only ran it maybe once or twice. The other times Alfred morris was in the hole and gone. Allowing Morris to get going and taking the pressure off of Griff was a great job by the Offensive line and helped to lay the groundwork. Getting away from the ground game in the 2nd half was not a great call.

- The defense was a tale of two halves. The first, skins getting pressure up front and collapsing the pocket with Josh Freeman getting skiddish and forcing some bad throws. Second half though, all freeman and the bucs. He found his big boy pants and started threading that ball all over the field. Please believe that even if we get to Matt Ryan it won't stop that passing attack. We better be prepared to lose by a lot.

- Not a lot of individual great games, Kerrigan has another solid game,London was doing well. I liked their ability to stop the run for the most part. It only got a little dicey towards the end when both teams knew what was coming. I must say after a few mental errors and bad kicks this is a win that I enjoy because I don't know that in anytime int he past 4 years could we have driven down the field in 1 minute 40 something seconds to put yourself in a position to win. This is better, we're not a good team yet but we're better.

- Our corners got caught sleeping on some go routes, but the Vincent Jackson one, where the hell was the safety? I haven't seen the pre-snap so I couldn't tell what they were in, btu if they were deep corners then yea there's no help and an incredibly well timed call. If they were bringing pressure and we just got caught, also a great call and even better read by Josh Freeman. I must say I like what Josh Wilson brings, he's not afraid, he has a short memory and for the most part plays good technique on the outside when matched up one on one against bigger guys (since everyone is bigger than him). I've said this before, but folks are missing that D. Hall is playing quite well out there. I'm not sure if its the calls this year or just maybe he recommitted himself to playing better defense, but even on plays he's getting beat on, he's there. The Post route to Vincent Jackson, if Madieu Williams is in better position and reading his keys on the outside Freeman doesn't have that lane to throw in. As a corner you're not going to stop every throw so being in position i do give credit for. D. Hall has been playing some ball. I mean even on the long pass to Jackson he got burnt, but he closed the gap and almost made a play on the ball. Those guys on the outside are playing some ball, its the reserves that are really getting eaten alive inthe middle of the field. When we have to blitz to get any type of pressure it's just making life too difficult for kids who weren't even supposed to see the field, let alone be the nickel. As horrible as they've been i get it, it frustrates the shit out fo me, but I get it.

- Keep feeding Alfred Morris, if you see him give him the ball. Plain and simple, he is a natural zone runner because of his excellent vision and ability to make that cut (put his heel in the dirt) and go. Keep feeding him, and let him and Griff grow up together. I'm quite happy with that gem of a find. He's getting more and more accustomed to the speed of the NFL game. You can tell because his cuts are more decisive and his shakes in the open field are better. I really like what he's been giving us.

- Griff had another solid game. I can't say enough about this kid. He's a leader, he's tough as nails. No disrespect to Michael Vick but i've seen Griff take shots that Vick just doesn't get up from. I want to limit those shots, this week he took less than last week, but still he took a few. The ones at the end of the game especially on that last drive are fine with me because that's winning time and you're already dealing with a shakey kicker, you've got to get as many yards as possible. I'm perfectly fine with that. He doesn't turn the ball over and once he sniffs the endzone he's going hard. Again he doesn't turn the ball over, and for a team with such small margin for error this is imperative.

- Unsung players of the Game. Darrel Young, Fred Davis (Fred was so open on one of those late game catches that he had to stop and be like where is everyone then started running) I know Santanna doesn't get a lot of shine but he comes in and gives you exactly what you need. Crossing route from the slot make a person miss and get to the sticks. I'm glad he's still here.

- Billy Cundiff almost walked home dog.

- All in all this was almost a terrible loss, but a good win. Prepare for a blowout at home next week as Matt Ryan has been on a tear and even Michael Turner has been churning out yards like its no one's business. We ain't got no defense.