Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectConfirmed via WaPo (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=87653&mesg_id=87691
87691, Confirmed via WaPo (link)
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Aug-28-12 01:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-release-chris-cooley/2012/08/28/768232e0-f138-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_blog.html

The Washington Redskins released tight end Chris Cooley Tuesday.

“It’s been awesome,” Cooley said.

The move was announced after Tuesday’s practice.

Cooley said he believes he still can be a productive NFL player but it would be difficult for him to play for another team.

“I’ll take some time and make sure what I do in the future is exactly what I want to do,” Cooley said.

Cooley said he leaves with no hard feelings toward the organization.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said: “We know how much Chris has meant to this organization and this community.”

Cooley wants to be a starter, Shanahan said, and the coach told him that Fred Davis is the Redskins’ starter. The team is giving Cooley an opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere, Shanahan said.

“I think he’s earned that right,” Shanahan said.

Shanahan said the two sides did not discuss Cooley’s contract. The tight end, who has filled in at fullback with starter Darrel Young injured, would have counted more than $6 million against the salary cap this season if he had remained with the team.

Shanahan did not rule out the possibility of the Redskins re-signing Cooley if he is unable to find a starting job elsewhere.

“There’s a lot of scenarios that could still occur,” Shanahan said. “... Chris wants to be a starter in the National Football League.”

Cooley had said during training camp that he was willing to fill any role to remain with the team. He played regularly at fullback during the Redskins’ three preseason games.

Shanahan said he wishes Cooley well and the team thought it did what is right for itself and Cooley.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton