Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectthe WR situation:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=87653&mesg_id=87685
87685, the WR situation:
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Aug-28-12 09:51 AM
locks:
Pierre Garcon
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Leonard Hankerson

the rest:
Anthony Armstrong
Terrence Austin
Brandon Banks
Dezmon Briscoe

Here's my take on it:

Armstrong isn't anything to write home about as a pass catching threat, but he plays special teams which apparently is of huge value with Shanahan and Danny Smith because none of the other WRs do.

In my opinion, Terrence Austin actually runs better routes than Armstrong but is a 7th round pick and was a long shot to make the team this year anyway.

Brandon Banks technically counts as a receiver. Off-the-field knucklehead but the only true home run hitter we have on the entire team. Not a pass catching asset whatsoever but, again, has to be filed as a WR.

Dezmon Briscoe is 6'2 and weighs in at over 220 and I've seen him listed at over 230 in some places even. Obviously he brings much needed size to the WR corps and I think he could be a valued target in the red zone. Unfortunately he also plays no special teams which is said to bring his stock down in a major way out in Ashburn. They're going to cut this guy, and he's going to get claimed, and he's going to contribute to someone else's team, and I'm going to be furious about it.

if I had my way, we'd cut Cooley to open up space for carrying 6 WRs - Banks and Briscoe being the extra 2 guys. I get the value of having guys that play special teams, but the value of having guys who can yield YAC and touchdowns is greater. Furthermore, Cooley really brings nothing to the table at this point other than blocking and there's no way in hell he's as fast at Fred Davis or Niles Paul. It's time, and WR is a major area of concern and Bob deserves all the weapons he can get.