Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectBG presents Chopper City in Da Urea: Washington Redskins 2012
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=87653&mesg_id=87653
87653, BG presents Chopper City in Da Urea: Washington Redskins 2012
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Aug-09-12 09:59 AM
BG being Bob Griffin of course.

Whew, where to begin gents?

Tonight we see Bob take the field for the first time in burgundy and gold, behind a patchwork O-line comprised of one pro-bowl caliber left tackle and a parade of journeymen.

Look, real talk? I have absolutely no idea what to expect of this year. Last year I thought we'd be improved and we went 5-11. The Haynesworth year? I thought we were legitimately winning the NFC. Now, given that I've got us at about 4-7 wins? Shoot who knows.

Here's how I'm feeling right now.

What I Hate:
I hate our secondary. We had a terrible corps of CBs and safeties to begin with, then we let Landry and OJ Atogwe walk. Still got the ultimate hustle player in Reed Doughty doe! These guys, anchored by the increasingly more delusional DeAngelo Hall, are a mess and I am not excited about watching this unit all year. This unit is the baby shits.

What I'm lukewarm about:
The offensive weapons. On paper, a receiving corps comprised of Pierre Garcon, a 2nd year Leonard Hankerson, Santana Moss, Fred Davis, a surprising Brandon Banks, and Josh Morgan doesn't look half bad on paper. In fact it actually looks pretty solid if they can stay somewhat healthy. What I'm far less enthusiastic about is our backfield of Tim Hightower, Evan Royster, and Roy Helu. Hightower gets to stay simply because he's a fantastic blocker, Royster and Helu the jury is still out on. I'm not especially high on either guy as I think we saw everything these guys had to offer last year. Maybe that's unfair to them, it's early in their careers. Lord knows I'd love to be wrong.

What I'm genuinely excited about.
Other than Bob of course, our front 7 on defense is a legitimate thing to be optimistic about. A D-Line that boasts both talent and depth; Stephen Bowen, Barry Cofield, Adam Carriker, Kedric Gholston, and a returning Jarvis Jenkins who is said to have All Pro potential if the stars align. A LB corps that also has ample talent and several quality guys; Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, London Fletcher, Perry Riley (the guy I'm personally most excited to watch this year other than Bob), and Lorenzo Alexander. Look if you've got a guy like Lorenzo listed as a backup then you've got somewhat of a good problem.

Is it naive of me to think that there's enough pieces in place for Bob to shine early on? I mean we aren't as loaded as the Ravens were when Pretty Flacco arrived, but I do think we're comparable to the Falcons when Matt Ryan came to the ATL.

Man I don't know what to think. I really don't. I'll settle on 7-9, with some heartbreaking close Ls there down the stretch. But at least once this year you're going to see everything click, and on that day Bob is going to look most spectacular - something to the tune of 4 TDs (two of which he runs in), 300+ yards, and no picks. It's only going to happen once. But when it does then we'll finally all breathe that collective sigh of relief, it will serve as the moment we've all been waiting for. The moment we knew that at long last we got our guy.

The OKSports Warpath crew begins congregation now. Hail Hail Hail Hail. HAIL.