Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectBCS Championship: Auburn vs. Oregon
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86867
86867, BCS Championship: Auburn vs. Oregon
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-19-11 06:05 PM
QB Cameron Newton, Auburn (6'6, 250) -- One hugely important trait that he has over his draft colleagues is pocket presence. I'm not talking about mobility -- that's different. Strictly between the tackles, however, he has much better awareness of pressure and how to execute despite it.

Gabbert shits himself and bails when anybody gets three feet near him, Mallett cannot step up and throw accurately, and Locker is only comfortable on roll-outs. When Newton is faced with a free blitzer or collapsing protection, he can keep his head downfield and buy an extra second with one sidestep (see: the first touchdown throw to Blake).

His mechanics range from quirky to terrible, but a good offensive coaching staff can iron those out. He already knows how to manipulate safeties, his arm as is good as anybody's, and his size-speed combination is unreal. Sliding in this draft would be a positive for him long-term: He needs to be on that Aaron Rodgers plan, where he sits for a year-plus, fixes his footwork and throwing motion under good coaching, and absorbs a NFL system.

WR Darvin Adams, Auburn (6'3, 185) -- Snuck in before the early draft deadline passed. No idea about his personal business, but I suppose his stock won't be any higher with a new quarterback next season. I don't see anything special: he's underweight and will bomb the strength tests, has merely adequate hands, is not explosive in the open field and lacks polish. It helps this isn't as good a receiver draft as once thought, but he looks like a fifth or sixth rounder.

DT Nick Fairley, Auburn (6'5, 298) -- This game probably put him in contention for the number one overall pick. I have my worries. Scheme-wise, I wouldn't trust him in a 3-4 as an end or nose tackle (too much responsibility); he's a three-technique. Athletically, he doesn't have the insane builds of a Suh or Ngata -- his weight is more top heavy and softer. He's like a smaller Albert Haynesworth (in maybe more ways than one). There's that "one-year wonder" thing as well, which is a big deal if you plan on investing first pick money. He picks the best times to dominate and plays a primo position...but picking a defensive tackle in the top ten is navigating a bust minefield.