Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectSugar Bowl: Ohio State vs. Arkansas
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86861
86861, Sugar Bowl: Ohio State vs. Arkansas
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-11-11 06:36 PM
QB Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State (6'6, 233) -- I think Pryor is staying, but that "pledge" was clearly PR bullshit. His own comments towards a return, or that of a teammate's, were ambiguous and noncommittal.

On the field, his tractor beam eyes when reading progressions remains a problem. The arm is good enough to do anything the NFL asks, although his accuracy comes and goes -- it's worse when he throws on the run. The inexplicable pass is still present, evidenced by that one 30-yard jump ball he fired off his back foot. Next year's suspension hurts him the most, and yes, his best play is still the third down scramble, but there's a real quarterback prospect here. Somewhere.

RB Daniel Herron, Ohio State (5'10, 202) -- He's not a NFL tackle-breaker, not a long touchdown threat, and he can't make something out of nothing. With all that against him, his little mistakes in this game were glaring: Trying to cut outside, in the backfield, on your own two-yard line? Fumbling on fourth and inches?

OT Mike Adams, Ohio State (6'8, 300) -- Footwork remains an issue. His kick-step is very inconsistent, and he ends up crossing his feet *a lot* against speed rushers. He didn't finish all his run blocks either -- must get nastier. Still has starting left tackle potential, but hasn't progressed to where I had hoped. I'm not sure he cracks the first round if he bolts.

DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State (6'5, 288) -- Remember Gerard Warren? He always called himself "Big Money" at Florida, I suppose in reference to his talent value and play in big games. Spurrier, being who he is, liked to call the defensive tackle "Big Penny" in privacy. Funny.

Anyway, I feel like I've seen that disparity from Heyward this season. He's had some first round games and some fifth round games, but at least he ended his career on a high note. The bull-rush remains his go-to, although he did show some effective rip, swim and spin moves in this game. Versatile enough for any system, I'm starting to like him most as a one-gap, 3-4 end.

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas (6'6, 238) -- While red-zone turnovers are nothing new to him, I give a lot of credit to Ohio State for that final interception. Having Thomas and Heyward both drop into coverage completely confused the Arkansas' line (who expects the best pass rusher to bail in that situation?) and freed Homan up the middle. The kicker, though, was the delayed safety blitz -- not only did it create double a-gap pressure right in Mallett's face, but it baited the quarterback to throw to the vacated spot in coverage...right where Thomas was reading. Great call.

I'm still not a Mallett fan, but I came away impressed with how he held himself together against the Buckeyes. I fully expected an emotional breakdown after all those drops, but nope -- he kept working at it, kept going to Adams, and didn’t start forcing things. Maturing.

I also expect him to destroy his pro day (that arm, throwing for NFL general managers, against no defense? Clay Davis), so if you want a less mobile version of Jay Cutler, you better be drafting in the top ten. Although fuck, who knows what Carolina will do if Luck doesn't come to his senses. This is the franchise that traded a first round pick for Everette Brown.

OG DeMarcus Love, Arkansas (6'5, 315) -- When you start reading mock drafts, don't believe anybody who has this guy a.) playing left tackle, b.) getting selected in the first two rounds. His feet are heavy as hell.

TE D.J. Williams, Arkansas (6'2, 251) -- Slow starter who's limited athletically. His hands, feel for coverage and deceptive quickness helps, but he doesn't present the match-up problems that elite tight ends do. And his blocking sucks.