Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectGator Bowl: Michigan vs. Mississippi State
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86856
86856, Gator Bowl: Michigan vs. Mississippi State
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-04-11 09:55 PM
OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State (6'6, 305) -- Voted most likely to have an embarrassing moment. Despite some obvious talent -- he's got the right size, the wingspan for left tackle, he's decently quick -- there's at least one instance per game where he looks like a horrible player. His run-blocking remains mediocre: It's fine if you he's just walling off an end or linebacker, but actually moving the man in front of him backwards? Not happening.

Pass protection is his stronger suit -- he's one of the few senior tackles who can stay on the left side -- although his balance is questionable and punch should be better. I'd feel worried taking this guy in the top 20, but there might not be too many better options.

DE Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State (6'4, 285) -- I'm wondering if the Auburn game was his best performance of the season. Past three games I've seen him have left me less and less enthused. Moves a little too upright, hasn't been explosive, and disappears for long stretches.

OLB K.J. Wright, Mississippi State (6'4, 250) -- I like him. Does a great job playing outside runs, forcing backs to the edge and landing the first blow against pulling guards. Consistent tackler and doesn't hurt the defense when left in space, either.