Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectCapital One Bowl: Michigan State vs. Alabama
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86852
86852, Capital One Bowl: Michigan State vs. Alabama
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jan-02-11 03:36 PM
ILB Greg Jones, Michigan State (6'1, 240) -- I wrote he was undersized before, but I was going on an old listed weight. I also think he just *looks* smaller than he is. If his measurables check out, then it's not a huge issue. He does have problems with runs directly at him, as linemen can wear him out pretty well. Much better when run blitzing or fighting his way through traffic, and a very good form tackler as well.

RB Mark Ingram, Alabama (5'10, 215) -- Back healthy and it showed. Had his burst and leg drive working, combined with that sick balance he gets from running so low. There are flashier running backs, bigger or faster, but Ingram's vision and natural running “ability” make him the best prospect in a mediocre class (especially if LaMichael James doesn't enter). Mid to late first round.

WR Julio Jones, Alabama (6'4, 220) -- Definitely repaired his stock from last season (where apparently he was the first receiver in SEC history to see double coverage) and will be one of the first wide-outs picked after A.J. Green, depending on teams' preferences. Although I'm still amazed at his ability to come up with the clutch drop. Down to the last play with the first team offense, he manages to fight off one last completion before finishing his day (and career). Wonders never cease.

DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama (6'4, 306) -- His best performance of the season. Used his hands exceptionally well -- swim move looked great -- and was off blocks instantly. Played fast all game (stamina is back) and powered through doubles. I've always liked him better inside, but have him drop 10 pounds and he'd be a hell of a 3-4 end too. A good finish to an uneven campaign.

ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama (6'4, 260) -- Getting his speed back. I wish I could be more confident in his pass defense -- he's usually in position, but I haven't seen teams test him lately -- because he's a fucking animal in the run game. Sheds and scrapes off blocks as well as anybody, and the power he gets from a standing tackle is absurd. Again, I'm still leery about his man-to-man skills, but at least he's big enough to move down to end on passing downs (which is where Saban puts him).