Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectInsight Bowl: Missouri vs. Iowa
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86842
86842, Insight Bowl: Missouri vs. Iowa
Posted by will_5198, Fri Dec-31-10 01:53 PM
QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri (6'5, 235) -- He was primed for huge numbers in this bowl: Iowa is stubborn about changing personnel, staying in their base 4-3 against three or four receiver sets, plus their defensive line has underperformed all year.

And while he filled up the stat book -- making a ton of impressive throws (looked like a pro working those sideline seams) -- the performance reminded me of his unchanged flaws. I still hate his habit of backing up when he throws, I still hate that he thinks a safe pocket means "no defenders within a six-yard radius," and that game-losing interception was one of the worst attempted passes of the year. Less than the sum of his parts.

DE Aldon Smith, Missouri (6'5, 260) -- The best swim move in the country! The way he tosses aside huge linemen (and he went up against a good one in Reiff, who should be a monster prospect starting next year) is amazing. Has a great punch too, using those bear claw hands and pure quickness to strike the first blow. As for his athletic talent...cmon. He's dropping 10 yards into coverage and chasing down outside zone runs from the *opposite* side of the formation.

I'm not worried about his bulk at all. He's got an awesome frame to put on weight and he sheds blockers before they can overpower him. Even now, they shift him to tackle on third downs and he handles himself just fine against the fat guys inside. Putting him at linebacker would be a waste. Despite missing half the season and having two years of eligibility left, the redshirt sophomore seems intent on declaring. One of my favorite defensive prospects.

DL Christian Ballard, Iowa (6'4, 298) -- Did I say he should stay on the outside? Um, he looked like my first car (’93 Honda Civic DX) trying to merge onto I-95 in this game: no acceleration, *painfully* slow off the snap, and routinely the last Hawkeye to break the line of scrimmage. Doesn't use his hands well -- he ends up stuck to a blocker, doing a lot of nothing. Plays top heavy too, struggling to break down and tackle. I wouldn't be surprised if he tore up the combine but I don't like him as a first rounder at all.

DE Karl Klug, Iowa (6'4, 270) -- Plays mostly as a tackle in Iowa's front. He's really an end, and a five-technique at that. Nothing that jumped out at me, just solid pressure on stunts (he's got more sacks this year than Ballard and Clayborn *combined*) and OK leverage in run support.