Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectBig XII Championship: Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86832
86832, Big XII Championship: Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
Posted by will_5198, Wed Dec-08-10 08:46 PM
DT Jared Crick, Nebraska (6'6, 285) -- Actually put together a great game, especially when Oklahoma was dumb enough to leave him single-blocked on deep pass routes. While the pressure and sacks were nice, I'm still not entirely on board: His feet stop when doubled and leverage remains a issue when holding the point in the run game. A junior who needs more experience and weight.

DE Pierre Allen, Nebraska (6'4, 265) -- One-speed player who can't close the deal when he gets near the quarterback. Lacks a pass rush repertoire, is decent against the run but not an anchor...you can get guys like this in the fifth round every year.

OLB Lavonte David, Nebraska (6'1, 210) -- I gave him a lot of shit after the Texas game (then again, which Husker *didn't* play awful in that one) and it's apparent he lurks on OKP. Taking on blocks with much more authority now, and does a great job flowing through traffic. His pass coverage remains a bit mystifying -- he has the body swivel and cover speed, is often in the right position, yet Oklahoma still completed a lot of passes on him.

CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska (6'1, 200) -- Wait, was that Oklahoma's third-best receiver beating him in man coverage on the go-ahead scoring drive? Surely the all-world corner did not allow Cameron Kenney to gain 38 of the Sooners' 55 yards, convert a fourth down and set up the winning field goal, did he?

DB Eric Hagg, Nebraska (6'2, 210) -- He just played the best slot receiver in the country to a draw. Like I wrote before, I love the fact he can play three positions in a nickel package: He's got the height to match up on the outside, cover skills to stay with inside receivers and the size and tackling ability to move to safety.

DE Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma (6'3, 267) -- I'm still trying to figure out what this guy does best. He's not a superb athlete for his size (Oklahoma stood him up to play Nebraska's option...mixed results). Not especially fast or strong. He *is* quite tenacious, and a lot of his best plays and most sacks come from second effort (refuses to be cut blocked). I suppose that's something. But not enough to pass the studs at defensive end this draft.