Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectTexas vs. Oklahoma State
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86797
86797, Texas vs. Oklahoma State
Posted by will_5198, Mon Nov-15-10 07:19 PM
CB Aaron Williams, Texas (6'1, 195) -- The long touchdown he gave up to Blackmon was actually excellent coverage -- he had inside position, ran with him stride-for-stride, used the sideline as a defender and made a pretty good play on the ball -- he just got beat by a perfect pass.

I'm not crazy about his backpedal; I think he gets too high and doesn't always drive on the ball out of his breaks (when Blackmon dropped a touchdown on a slant, he was *way* late on that inside route...especially near the goal-line). Still, he can turn and run with most anybody, and has long, pass-breaking-up arms. If he can correct a few technique flaws and add 10 pounds for run support...

CB Curtis Brown, Texas (6'0, 185) -- Hips are questionable. He got spun around repeatedly in this game, put his weight on the wrong foot, and looked sloppy when coming out of his slide step and backpedal. To be fair, he wasn't always helped out by his teammates: First half, Brown lines up tight on Blackmon with outside leverage. The nickel corner was supposed to bracket Blackmon, yet he just floats to a sideline zone after the snap and covers nobody. Blackmon is wide-open on a post for 30 yards -- because Brown gave up an inside release and didn't get any inside help!

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (6'1, 207) -- I underestimated his speed. He's not a pure deep threat in that he lines up and runs past everyone, but he chews up yardage with his explosive stride and wins almost every jump ball. Dropped the aforementioned touchdown in this game; despite his amazing hands in traffic, he can lose concentration on the easy ones. However, you can tell he's improving almost by the week: stemming routes, crossing defensive backs no matter which way they shade him, etc. The fact this is his first year as a starter is remarkable.