Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectLSU vs. Alabama
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86782
86782, LSU vs. Alabama
Posted by will_5198, Sun Nov-07-10 04:22 PM
RB Stevan Ridley, LSU (6'0, 223) -- Effective if unexciting. Quick feet and runs with good pad level, having just enough shiftiness to escape linebackers. No speed past 10 yards though. I'm not sure he profiles as any more than a second or third tailback in the NFL, though if he keeps producing he should get a decent shot.

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU (6'1, 222) -- Him against Julio was one of the best match-ups of the season. He got beat on two big plays (three including the pass interference on Maze): the back-shoulder catch in the first half and the slant for Alabama’s final touchdown. Both were perfect passes -- especially the touchdown, which was practically uncoverable.

Otherwise, he didn't do anything to hurt his status. Coverage was shadow-tight for the rest of the game, and did you see when he stepped up to press Julio? Twice he laid his hands into him and knocked a 220-pound receiver *backwards* on his release. Sick shit! He also remains the best-tackling corner in the nation: I don't think any other defensive back could have made the two plays he made on Julio (undercutting him two yards short of the first down in the open field) and Richardson (chasing laterally, but still wrapping him up and sitting him down at the goal-line).

WR Julio Jones, Alabama (6'4, 220) -- This was a much bigger game for him than Peterson after the latter shut him out last season. That said, I think he acquitted himself nicely -- the aforementioned two catches showed off his size advantage over practically any corner, and in general he looked much more inspired. I was about to compliment him on not having any drops too, but with 13 seconds left he found a way to handball a pass on Alabama's final possession. Bravo.

FS Mark Barron, Alabama (6'2, 210) -- I realize he carries a lot of responsibility with three new secondary starters, but lately, he hasn't played all that well. Certainly not up to standard for a guy with an Eric Berry poster on his wall. He didn't look bad against LSU, just average, and was half speed after getting hurt in the third quarter. Should be back next year.