Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectOregon vs. Stanford
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86736
86736, Oregon vs. Stanford
Posted by will_5198, Tue Oct-05-10 01:08 PM
RB LaMichael James, Oregon (5'9, 185) -- Tremendous acceleration. He sees a crease and gets to the second level immediately, which is really fun to watch. Lacks NFL strength but a surprisingly tough runner who takes on linebackers and secondary players. Probably too small for a starter, but could really do well in a zone scheme.

WR Jeff Maehl, Oregon (6'1, 184) -- I'd say he could be a potential inside receiver on four-wide sets, but his hands looked awfully shaky in this game. Seems to relish blocking despite his size. He better love being on a coverage unit, because special teams value will be his best chance.

ILB Casey Matthews, Oregon (6'2, 235) -- While I whiffed pretty badly in evaluating his brother, I don't think he's as good. Seems instinctive, challenged Marecic in the hole and had a pretty active first half. Could be a quality back-up.

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford (6'4, 235) -- I'm now at man-crush. His first touchdown pass was senior-level quarterbacking: He knew he had Whalen in single coverage all the way, but he moved the safety by looking to the other side of his field during his entire drop. Safety stepped that direction, and boom -- Luck turns and fires a beautiful strike. If I was a Bills fan I would've gotten wood watching that play.

He's also got amazing pocket presence and feel for pressure. Four or five times he completed a pass with an Oregon player either draped around him or about to hit him -- he knows when time's up. Excellent mobility, and he runs with his head always looking downfield, always going through progressions, always squaring his shoulders before a throw (he loses no accuracy outside the pocket). His play-action form is NFL-ready (see: his second passing touchdown).

Sure, he forced some deep balls in the second half, but that's easily correctable and came from the pressure of a shoot-out slipping away from Stanford. Everything you look for in a quarterback prospect...it's all here.

FB Owen Marecic, Stanford (6'1, 244) -- Limited athletically and an uneven blocker who struggles with moving targets outside the tackles. No future at middle linebacker due to his lack of speed, a problem with several Stanford defenders against Oregon (Chip Kelly went after their safety, #40, the entire damn game).