Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectPittsburgh vs. Miami-FL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86727
86727, Pittsburgh vs. Miami-FL
Posted by will_5198, Sat Sep-25-10 03:06 PM
OT Jason Pinkston, Pittsburgh (6'4, 300) -- I was ready to anoint this guy after the first quarter. I became less impressed over the next half hour, yet almost came back to my first conclusion after watching the final 15 minutes. Footwork is clean, he makes all the pass protection steps without losing balance, and has great reflexes (usually the first one into his stance off the snap). But he doesn't have a strong punch and can get into slapfights or bullied. Still, one of the better college tackles I've seen this year.

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh (6’5, 220) -- It's hard to judge his performance separate from the awfulness that is Pitt's offensive line and quarterback. Physically, he's an imposing possession receiver with the ball skills to score long touchdowns. Long-strider and against Miami's constant press coverage, I thought he got a little too busy with his takeoff -- just jab step and go. That last interception, he just seemed to lose the ball in the lights.

DE Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh (6'4, 260) -- Lined up as a five-technique end for most of the game, holding the edge pretty well and disrupting some running lanes with a nice power rush. Although he ended up with a pair of sacks, what stood out to me was his lack of closing speed -- often he had Jacory or a ball-carrier in space, and couldn't close the distance (Jacory isn't fast, either). And despite some good pass rush variety, he doesn't seem to have an elite first step.

RB Dion Lewis, Pittsburgh (5'8, 195) -- Draft-eligible, I believe, due to the fact he had a year of prep school. The blocking he received was generally poor, with at least one assignment blown per run play. Very quick feet, yet lacks great acceleration with his cuts. When he managed to make it past the line of scrimmage, he wanted to make a lateral move but couldn't outrun defenders. That's not a good sign when he's already undersized (and can't run linebackers over). While I realize Wanny loves to overwork his backs, with Lewis' physical limitations I don't see him entering the draft until he can ramp up his production.

OT Orlando Franklin, Miami-FL (6'7, 312) -- Unevenly distributed mass...in other words, he's got skinny legs. Has some real sloppy slides and crosses his feet up. Gets top heavy in the run and pass games, without the athleticism to recover. Can be embarrassingly tossed down by leverage-mindful linebackers. When he locks onto a stationary target he's a good player, but there are some real issues here.