Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectAuburn vs. Clemson
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86723
86723, Auburn vs. Clemson
Posted by will_5198, Tue Sep-21-10 02:46 PM
DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson (6'4, 280) -- Potential monster. Some of the plays he made in the run game were fucking incredible: my favorite was when he ran a stunt on third and two, shadowed the pulling guard coming towards him, and knocked him into the backfield -- at which point he fell backwards into Newton like a domino. Loss of one. Chasing down Dyer in the backfield on a toss play was similarly impressive.

Pass rush was a bit timid against Auburn (I think he could free his hands better), although you don't want to get too upfield against a running quarterback. He did end up with a sack on a power rush. I think at this point a NFL team would be paying more for his upside (dreaded word!) than production, but I was impressed with what I saw.

FS DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson (6'0, 212) -- I like this guy. Great instincts for reading the route and quarterback, so when the ball in the air, he doesn’t have to check the receiver in coverage -- he *is* the receiver. He knows where the pass is going, and takes the shortest route to the ball instead of chasing a wideout step for step. Had three pass breakups in the first half alone (to go with the big interception), one of which while he was covering the slot receiver in man.

While he profiles as a centerfield free safety, he actually played a hybrid position against Auburn, coming down to middle linebacker depth on run downs. Decent tackler and fights through traffic well, although he'll concede some yards against stronger backs.

DT Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (6'4, 305) -- Didn't dominate but he had a positive impact, especially defending the run. Like Bowers, he had a grown-ass-man play where he bulldozed the guard three yards backwards then pulled down Dyer with one arm! Looked a bit goofy on stunts and when he slid over to end; I prefer him as a nosetackle who can eat up blockers and make running backs alter their paths.