Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectWashington vs. Nebraska
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86717
86717, Washington vs. Nebraska
Posted by will_5198, Sun Sep-19-10 08:19 PM
QB Jake Locker, Washington (6'3, 226) -- Where to start in this mystifyingly horrific performance? His first interception (and throw of the game) was laughably bad -- a no chance gimmie into bracketed double coverage, after getting three seconds to chill in the pocket and scan the field.

It gets better. Third down and medium, Washington is in the shotgun (offset back, 2x2 set) and Nebraska shows cover zero with seven at the line of scrimmage. They all come and Locker has to throw it away. But let's think: seven possible rushers, six blockers, where is the hot route? I don't know his audible package, but you'd assume a senior quarterback with upperclassmen receivers can read that situation better.

Another favorite: third down and medium (again), and Locker has his best receiver (Kearse) in the slot with a linebacker covering. Nebraska shows two-deep man; it's an easy conversion. Locker is protected, Kearse beats the 'backer on a simple in route right at the sticks...yet Mr. Hero throws a jump ball 20 yards downfield into triple coverage! I’m done.

WR Jermaine Kearse, Washington (6'2, 198) -- He caught half of Locker's production through the air. Unfortunately for evaluating purposes, that was two passes. The one thing I did notice was he had trouble when corners started pushing him around, failing to hold his position and get off holds.

CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska (6'1, 200) -- I'm not sure if the long touchdown to Kearse was his fault or Gomes. It was clearly zone, but it's hard to imagine Gomes (as the safety) would be positioned so shallow in a two deep coverage. Aside from that, he stayed glued to his man (illegally at times) and showed wonderful technique on the one pass he broke up. Eager to see him versus a team that uses the forward pass more effectively.

DT Jared Crick, Nebraska (6'6, 285) -- Clearly misses Suh. No gap discipline, gets too high and loses leverage inside, and was basically targeted by Washington on inside run plays to great effect. Not enough pass rush for a one-gap. Very unimpressed.

DE Pierre Allen, Nebraska (6'4, 265) -- Shows nothing that's amazing, but he's a nice sized prospect who is strong enough against the run and can get around the corner from time to time. Those guys tend to find spots in NFL rotations.

WR Niles Paul, Nebraska (6'1, 220) -- Not needed against Washington. Has a compact build, runs solid routes, muscles up college corners and gets in and out of his breaks well. I see some third receiver possibilities here.