Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectAlabama vs. Penn State
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=86680&mesg_id=86696
86696, Alabama vs. Penn State
Posted by will_5198, Sun Sep-12-10 01:49 PM
WR Julio Jones, Alabama (6'4, 220) -- My main problem with Julio last season was his lack of focus, resulting in drops and disinterested play. He dropped another easy pass against Penn State, a bad habit since he has large hands and catches well otherwise.

Once he has the ball, however, he's a YAC machine and is rarely tackled without falling forward. Makes aggressive, sharp cuts on downfield routes but I wonder about his ability to separate from pro cornerbacks. His release was not consistent (he added this odd short hop when running hitches, and only hitches), which can be a tell. Fierce run blocker and regularly takes on linebackers with ease.

ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama (6'4, 260) -- Maybe it's due to the knee surgery, but his lateral movement was real sluggish. He was just trying to survive in pass coverage, and did a lot more jogging than chasing. Might stand to lose another 10 pounds. Still a monstrous hitter and blitzer when moving in a straight line (he did miss some tackles against Penn State, though).

FS Mark Barron, Alabama (6'2, 215) -- Played in the box quite a bit, either against the run or to cover the tight end. Lanky frame. Very solid tackler who doesn't make flashy hits but brings his man down, which is almost a lost art for many safeties. Got an interception (should have had two) and Saban's defensive backs are notoriously well coached on positioning.

OT James Carpenter, Alabama (6'5, 300) -- Alabama ran behind him for most of the night. Dominated Latimore in pass protection and looked pretty solid when run-blocking on the second level. He has a tendency to grab, however, and would probably make a better right tackle.

RB Evan Royster, Penn State (6'1, 209) -- Sheds a tackle here and there, but mostly a guy who gets the yardage the blocking gives him. And not much else. Can't make too many people miss, has no top-end speed, and isn't a big bruiser. Not a huge market for those backs in the NFL.

DE Eric Latimore, Penn State (6'6, 280) -- I do not believe those measurables. He looked downright small compared to Carpenter. Got very little pressure and Alabama decided to run straight at him, at which point we started seeing less and less of him in Penn State's rotation.

DE Jack Crawford, Penn State (6'5, 256) -- High-effort player, and I swear he looks bigger than Latimore. Not explosive, though, and has trouble closing in on the ball.

DT Devon Still, Penn State (6'5, 311) -- Cmon. He got upended, somersault style, by Richardson. On some Madden shit.