Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI'm gonna have to call bullshit on your coach comparison
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=84998&mesg_id=85008
85008, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on your coach comparison
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Nov-23-09 05:28 PM
shanahan's teams have declined ever since some QB who wore #7 left. the one thing they did well in denver under him was run the ball, but that became about the only thing.

much as i hate the fuck, having favre in his prime isn't a bad thing for a coach to have, holmgren benefited from that but struggled for a WHILE in seattle with getting hasselbeck to conform to his system. he left the packers in what, 99? seattle didn't get there overnight, it took some time and they had lots of struggles along the way.

lest we forget "we want the ball and we're gonna score" ROFL

and i have to address your billick point. he NEVER adjusted, that was the problem. he was an offensive genius who came to a team that was built to excel defensively, although they had a hall of fame TE, a hall of fame caliber RB, and a KR threat every time he touched the ball. they may have won the superbowl in spite of dilfer, but they started the season with banks.

you DON'T RELEASE THE QB who you won the superbowl with. i didn't realize this, but that five game touchdownless streak they had, four of those games were with Banks. Dilfer at least earned the right to start on that team again the following season. He would never have been as good as Flacco has looked, but more time with the offense would have only improved things and the dude has won throughout his career. Billick, who is a very smart man, believed his own hype and thought he could take any hotshot QB and run a great offense.

randy moss running streaks will do that to you.

it became a joke to call the man an offensive genius with the moribund offense that he had, and the only reason he wasn't fired sooner was BECAUSE they won a superbowl so early in the team's life.

billick called the game on sunday and he's very close to sing, sing has great respect for him. and he aloud was contemplating that perhaps SF needed to change the offensive philosophy so i'm sure they'll have words about it.

>Both are proven winners, suit the personnel and have history
>in SF

so with that said, i hear you on the stubborn tip. but i think the fire and brimstone shit has been overplayed ridiculously. it is frustrating to see them show less discipline than you'd imagine a team under him to have. clock management, stupid penalties, things that need addressing. now re: offensive philosophies, that explosive shit with jt osullivan was giving the ball away early and often and i'm sure sing saw that and was like whoaaaa, we are NOT those guys who can do that. but coming into the season, it was the right move to go with the guy who was winning, since despite all the problems, hill managed to do just that, unlike smith, osullivan and all the rest of dem.

now with smith, we're all kind of like whetting our appetites to see if he can do that shit for a whole game and not just when trailing. our defense is still very very good, but too much of the burden is being placed on them. if this offense was even half as productive as it has appeared in flashes, the defense would look even more impressive. but three and outs is a hard way to live.

i c u profiling and nailing raye, and i'm not trying to tell you about what you mean by what you're saying, but it *sounds* to me like you're more done with raye than sing, but faulting sing for getting him in the first place. am i correct?

with that said, i'm nowhere near as done as you are with the coaching staff. it is still just his first year as head coach of HIS team. we can call it stubborn pride, but if you spend all offseason trying to ingrain one philosophy and the team seems to embody another, it does take a bit of reflection and analysis. one can overthink or overanalyze it, look at the positives in the offense as a result of this that or the other rather than just the fact that they're more suited to the spread than a ball control formula.

the thing is, he's big on VD, big on crabs, still a big supporter of smith, all players who have shown explosiveness. i'd analogize him to the dad who needs a bit of convincing before he'll finally let his youngest son get the keys to the car, after seeing his older sons get killed or injured in accidents. i could be wrong, but i think he's going to try to turn the keys over to smith and let her rip, despite the fears he has from all the shit that that pass happy offense with the WRONG personnel produced last year.

>_________________________________
>Reunion Radio Weekly Podcasts
>4 Decades of R&B/Funk/Soul
>
>Latest episode- The Sound Table w/ Silk & OP (Nov Edition)
>http://reunionradio.podomatic.com/
>
>Visit http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/ for achieved shows