Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRE: I'm assuming that this is just brilliant schtick at this point but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=82180&mesg_id=82476
82476, RE: I'm assuming that this is just brilliant schtick at this point but...
Posted by Call It Anything, Wed Aug-04-10 10:18 AM
>First of all, the Strasburg comments were made in reference
>to the opinion that he was too inexperienced to be in the
>all-star game, when in direct contrast you have Heyward who
>got selected because he got off to a good start in a rookie
>year, and then went into a slump and visited the DL before the
>break. But he had enough experience??? I believe I said this
>already, but people just wanted to argue stats and names...

If Heyward were selected by the manager or Strasburg able to be voted in by the fans, this would be 100% valid. As it stands, it is irrelevant.

>Second of all, what else could be you argument for Heyward.
>Yeah, I know he's been in the top 10 for on base percentage
>due to his high amount of walks, which I also previously
>conceded was the strength of his game. However, I'm not going
>to also say what a great OPS his has, and every other stat
>that OBP is factored into. He gets on base, I got it. But that
>doesn't counter the point that other outfielders were more
>deserving of an all-star selection over a rookie hitting .251
>at the break, but I believe I already said that as well...

Deserving is irrelevant in this context because the fans vote for who they like. Some fans probably look at statistics, and if you did, it would be hard to cast a vote in late June for Jason Heyward. But most fans do not. They vote for players that excite them. Based on his age, how he plays the game, and his media exposure, many fans thought he was exciting and wanted to see more of him. Part of your argument early on was that he didn't deserve the exposure that he got. But it would be hard to imagine Heyward playing any better in April and May than he did. Now that we're in August, the media has moved on. He cooled off a little. In June they started going crazy over Strasburg. That has cooled off, but he is still getting plenty of run. Who knows what they'll talk about next month. That's what the media does.

>Finally, I never intended on researching rookie stats, but
>when I did, I found about 10 other rookies who are deserving
>of the same media attention being given to Heyward, and I
>would think someone who watches baseball would be able to
>admit there are at least 5 other rookies having a better
>season than he is to date...

But when you try to articulate the reasons why they are having a better season 90% of what you relate it to is Heyward's batting average. You don't really even seem to care about playing time as Chris Johnson has played less than 40% of the amount of time that Jason Heyward has.