Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRE: If Duke has a history of recruiting in the inner city..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=81098&mesg_id=81523
81523, RE: If Duke has a history of recruiting in the inner city..
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Mar-19-11 07:02 AM

>2 questions..
>
>Why do you go so far out of your way to make a big deal when
>they either go hard after, or actually get ANY damn Black
>player??? If it's the norm, then why do you make it like it's
>such an out of the norm event???

because i'm antagonizing duke-hater on this board. that's what the fuck i do, warren. i make people mad. are you new? *i* know duke's recruiting track record, but haters don't. haters think they can just say what the fuck they want about duke is just a bunch a white boys, like nolan's black ass ain't RIGHT THERE, like tyler thornton don't exist, like kyrie ain't black, like seth's whole black famly ain't on TV...so, yeah, i'mma point out every black recruit duke secures. you mad?

>2nd question....
>
>If again they are all up in the urban inner city.....then why
>aren't those recruits choosing Duke?? Why are they going
>elsewhere if Duke is such a prestigious program, and such a
>solid school. Why are they not flocking to Duke???

ask those kids and their parents. that has nothing to do with duke's recruting strategy. that's the kinda question someone with little interest in the truth would ask. it obscures the current issue--DOES DUKE ONLY RECRUIT A CERTAIN *TYPE* OF *BLACK* PLAYER?--and introduces a new issue--why don't certain BLACK kids accept scholarship offers from duke? do you understand? did i make it clear enough for you? can you follow, warren?

now, while i was happy to fuck up your derail attempt, i will actually offer an answer from MY PERSPECTIVE. again, speaking for me, not duke basketball. black kids that don't go to duke after being offered go for all kids of reasons: playing time. no interest going to class and they know that ain't happening at duke. and my favorit--and the one i think you wanna discuss--because they don't wanna be perceived as SELLOUTS, which is what jimmy king so graciously lobbed out there for public analysis on first take. too bad i seem to be the only one who is actually analyzing what he said. patrick patterson all but admitted that he didn't go to duke because he felt duke was corny, wack, whatever. now, he was highly pursued and OFFERED...K flew to see him AGAIN two days before he decided..kissed his ass and his fam's ass. now, why would i explore K's recruiting tactics, when it was pat patterson's reluctance to be associated with what many in the black community perceive as CORNY, SOFT and WACK? just like many black kids percive honor roll students as CORNY, SOFT and ACTING WHITE. that is the mentality that i believe a lot of recruits have regarding duke.

and i'm happy this episode has sparked that debate. it's been needed for YEARS. and in the end, it will HELP duke's recruiting efforts even MORE, as if they need it. GOOD!