Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectStill going ... Basa, come out and playyyyyy. Coach K speaks (SWIPE)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=81098&mesg_id=81409
81409, Still going ... Basa, come out and playyyyyy. Coach K speaks (SWIPE)
Posted by Challenger, Thu Mar-17-11 08:35 AM
via 2008 interview ... recruited a certain type of player ...

Nukka, you know what the fuck Jalen's point was on this issue. Certain type of player, no visible tats, no baldies, no cornrows, no facial hair, equal focus on education as NBA, no interest in leaving school early ... <--- THAT type of player.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/article_fe6ad09d-ea5a-5832-9f01-84065f453d47.html

***"Back when USA guard Kobe Bryant was taking pop princess Brandy to the prom, the rules allowed the future Los Angeles Laker to go straight to the NBA in 1996.

Duke's recruiting philosophy - leave them alone - reflected that. Then the rules changed, forcing high schoolers to spend a year in college, and Duke's rules changed, too.

Though Krzyzewski includes former Duke stars Grant Hill and Jason Williams in the same talent category as U.S. team members Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, he said there was a time Duke avoided guys with the NBA in their eyes.

"Because they didn't want to go to college," he said. "Now that pool has to be recruited. But you still have to be careful to recruit the right ones."

Bryant never visited Duke before being taken with the 13th overall pick in 1996, though he was recruited by other college coaches. USA point guard Jason Kidd had some interest in Duke but never really acted on it.

Duke never recruited LeBron James or Howard, who were chosen first in 2003 and 2004, respectively. Krzyzewski saw Howard play once and only once.

"I thought, 'That ain't happening. I better go back home and play with my grandkids because any trip back to Atlanta is going to be a waste of time,"' he said.****

Elton felt the heat, Avery felt the wrath, Maggette is still not forgiven for leaving early.

btw, the very idea of you using Pac in a Duke jersey in your avy is the exact reason it is appealing ... we both know if he had game Coach K likely wouldn't have recruited him.

Challenger-