Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjecti disagree.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=81098&mesg_id=81230
81230, i disagree.
Posted by Guinness, Wed Mar-16-11 05:16 PM
first off, speaking on a camera is entirely different from composing a letter (with or without the help of a publicist and the duke alumni association). so, yeah, i hold hill to a different standard of clarity. but besides that, i thought rose articulated clearly why he hated duke: he believed they didn't want players with his background, he thought their players were privileged, and, by the "uncle tom" comment, he felt that black players who went there were playing for a program that was opposed to urban values.

i'm not sure why you're harping on the fact that rose, king and jackson said these statements recently. It was clear the questions were about how they felt as a teenager.

as for hill, his unwillingness to broach why duke--then and now, the most hated program in the country--was disliked by kids from the hood is mind-boggling. asking him to acknowledge a commonly-known fact that plays a looming part in this discussion isn't asking for the "letter from birmingham jail." he's just another a self-satisfied, indignant duke prick.