Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectAdvantage: Luke Jensen Okayplayer Special
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=62827&mesg_id=63159
63159, Advantage: Luke Jensen Okayplayer Special
Posted by Luke Jensen, Mon Jul-07-08 11:18 PM
The best tennis match ever! Tears streamed down my face in waves as Rafael Nadal conquered Roger Federer for his first Wimbledon title. This guy was running around, hitting otherworldly groundstrokes and making the world BELIEVE he is the #1 player in tennis. Unfortunately for Roger, he does not have Rafa's arms. Fed needs to get in the gym a little more and learn how to bully guys around with strength, like Nadal. Times have changed, and Roger can no longer win EVERY match from finesse and tactics alone.

And how about the conditions! Two rain delays, and pure DARKNESS at the finish! Rain delays are tough on players because you all of a sudden have to stop the match and go into a different mindset. And once you get back on the court, you have to try to find the intensity right away. Playing in darkness hinders your ability to see the ball, and can result in alot of mistimed shots. It's a pity the match had to finish this way, but it added alot of drama to the whole event. Could you imagine a carry over to the next day to play only a few games for a grand slam CHAMPIONSHIP?! Both players would have gotten 0 sleep.

I'm not going to predict a US Open championship for Rafa yet, but I believe he has gained alot of confidence from this match. I still see Federer as the favorite. See you in New York!