Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectI was there!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=62827&mesg_id=62917
62917, I was there!!
Posted by chief1284, Tue Jul-01-08 12:44 PM
Awesome awesome match. I joined halfway through the second set andwhen he dominated that and the second of the 3rd it really looked over. But Ancic battled away, got the third. Then the 4th was totally even and Ancic just scraped it. The fifth is where both the intensity and the quality of tennis went through the roof. Loads of long rallies. Vedasco was pissed like you wouldn't believe. Swearing at the umpires in Spanish (I don't think they understood). At one point he hit a passing shot that looked in but was given out and he had a real McEnroe moment. Every shot after that, even when it was blatantly in or out he was giving the umpire a stare. It was real drama.

Then the fifth just never looked like it was going to end. I hardly ever seen such a close matchup. At around 8-8 Ancic broke, but then Vedasco broke straight back with a love game. So much quality tennis and finally Ancic sorted it, and Vedasco literally ran out of the court and looked like he was ready to kill someone.

Genuinely it was one of the best tennis matches I've even seen. I don't know if I was swayed by the fact I saw it live but at the end Dementieva came on and I was just too exhausted to watch any more tennis and went and had a break. I couldn't believe how little press coverage had been given to the game cos it was, in my opinion, as good as tennis gets.