Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subject673
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=56716&mesg_id=56775
56775, 673
Posted by Walleye, Wed Jun-27-07 08:47 AM
That's the number of intentional walks Bonds has received in his career, with a peak of 120 in 2004. That actually makes the intentional walk environment of 2001, when everybody was clamoring "pitch to Barry!" seem positively restrained with only 35 IBBs. Obviously, pitching to him means more than simply not intentionally walking him, but he slugged over .850 that year and as much as I think the intentional walk is an overused tactical measure, I wouldn't have pitched to him either. Who wants to give up an 800 ft. homerun every time they throw a strike?

Anyhow, back to the original number of 673... Does anybody want to guess how many plate appearances Bonds made in his record-setting season of 2001? Don't check, I'll tell you: 664. 673 is right near the high end of his single season bests for plate appearances, which basically means that Barry Bonds has spent an entire season of his career standing and watching a pitcher lob four pitches to a catcher standing safely seven feet away. A full season.

That's scaring teams.