Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRE: and you guys are defensive and delusional
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=54540&mesg_id=54756
54756, RE: and you guys are defensive and delusional
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jun-27-07 09:57 PM

>can you sort of give me an idea of what you mean by
>"regulate"? what is your plan of action? are you talking
>specifically testing for steroids....or the rec drugs,
>painkillers, amphetamines and god knows what else as well?

i want every aspect of the wrestling industry monitored by the Department of Labor to establish whether its workers are exposed to unsafe working conditions. that means enough drug testing so that people have done everything possible to eliminate performance enhancers in the sport, establishing some sort of reasonable work schedule that keeps them from the insane hours they currently work, limiting the types of bumps these guys can take, et cetera.

you want to argue the DOL has better things to do? i'd argue that wrestling is a public display of gross abuses of workers and that cleaning wrestling up will have a marked impact on how people view blue collar labor in this country. i think it is important enough that the feds need to step in and clean up an industry that has been dirty as hell since its beginning.

>would you like to implement IOC style steroid testing in the
>WWE? any idea how expensive that is? would you like to be
>contributing to that cost?

i mean...i have to be careful here, because i don't want to be mean. obviously, the cost of a decent system of monitoring falls on the wwe. the feds need to step in and say you WILL do x, y, and z, and we will be monitoring whether you do it. but the wwe pays for testing, and if their product, uhm, suffers because people aren't allowed to jump off ladders any more, so be it. vince macmahon has gotten incredibly rich because he has placed countless workers in unsafe working conditions, so it's time for him to pay the piper. if wrestling can't survive without treating its workers fairly, it does not deserve to survive.

>and this is just drugs....theres a whole lifestyle associated
>with wrestling that goes beyond simply drug use....non stop
>traveling, little to no rest, intense physical demands....what
>is it that you want the government to do about this?

gee, maybe limit the number of road trips a guy can take and hours he can work in a week? maybe that?

>it sounds like you want another dog and pony congressional
>hearing a la baseball....which in the end will do jack shit
>for the industry and accomplish nothing besides waste time and
>money.

no, i want the government to actually do something about unsatisfatory working conditions. fuck a hearing--give the wwe 10 things they need to do to make life better for their employees or shut them down.

>nobody is ignoring the early deaths....but theres a difference
>between keeling over when youre 40 and brutally murdering your
>wife and son and then killing yourself. correct me if im
>wrong, but is this not the first time this has happened? if
>there is no other case of this, then there is no trend.

it's cool you like wrestling, but think about how silly that sounds.

>and you want to regulate bodybuilding too? LOL. what trend
>has been established within bodybuilding that any of us need
>to worry about? i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Titus