Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectinteresting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=52508&mesg_id=52688
52688, interesting
Posted by McDeezNuts, Thu Feb-15-07 02:43 PM
You made some interesting points, but to me, they don't really address why homosexuality is like incest.

Incest is totally different because I don't believe there's a way to have a "healthy" incestuous relationship. When you're talking about having sex with your own family members, it's too difficult to rule out coercion or abuse.

Homosexuality does not involve coercion or abuse, any more so than heterosexuality.
Neither sexuality is correlated with incest. That was my point.

As for your points:

>so are you saying there are no negative psychological effects....
>from homosexuality? is that why gays commit suicides in
>higher numbers than heterosexuals?

Yes, there are psychological effects of homosexuality. Not to generalize, but I'd say that most gay people (in the US at least) have much more difficult lives than heterosexuals. They face oppression, hatred, ignorance, and unacceptance.

These things, IMO, are the primary causes of the "psychological effects" of homosexuality. If society was more open and accepting of homosexuals, I think they would lead happier lives. In my opinion, being gay is not inherently psychologically damaging; it is being gay in a society that doesn't accept it that can be damaging.

>and what about kids that
>are raised by "loving gay couples"? Who knows how screwed up
>will they be? I hear people spouting all kinds of bogus crap
>about how great gay parents are but we only have a small
>sample size up until this point. What will the results be like
>when gay parenting is more widespread?

We just don't know. Why assume the worst? There are already plenty of gay parents out there - some of them are living a lie and pretending to be straight (and already have kids). Are they not fit to be parents either?

Are we going to decide who's allowed to be a parent now? Because there's a long list of people that I don't think are fit to be parents, but I still don't think anyone should deny them that right.

>Are you telling me that
>has no effect on the kids? they aren't riduculed at school?

Being ridiculed at school is a social effect based on the fact that homosexuality is not accepted. It has nothing to do intrinsically with having gay parents.

In some parts of the country, black kids are still ridiculed at school (ever seen Everybody Hates Chris?). Poor kids are ridiculed at school. People are ridiculed at school for their religious beliefs, or their parents' religiouis beliefs. Bottom line, kids are ridiculed at school for lots of stupid reasons.

That's no reason to ban marriages or prevent certain people from adopting kids.

>And are you saying homosexuality hasn't ripped apart some
>families?

Again, this is a social ramification of homosexuality's lack of acceptance. It is not related to actually being homosexual - it's related to how people respond to it.

My brother is very anti-gay - if one of his kids was gay, it would destroy him. And it would "harm the family."

But I wouldn't blame my nephew though. If anything, I'd blame my brother for not being loving and understanding of his own son.

I would still love my nephew just as much if he was gay, although it's not a life I would want for him because of all the reasons you mentioned.