Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subject"Tom Brady, the best quarterback most of us will ever see" -P. King
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=51299
51299, "Tom Brady, the best quarterback most of us will ever see" -P. King
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-08-07 04:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-thenflsnewpower&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

plus I'm still trying to figure out how he associates Sean Payton with Bill Belichick...
51300, Or how he makes no mention of the dungy coaching tree...
Posted by gmltheone, Mon Jan-08-07 04:38 PM
>plus I'm still trying to figure out how he associates Sean
>Payton with Bill Belichick...

The melanin must have blinded him.

----------------------------
"I don't want to die because I ate too many cheeseburgers" The Big Kid aka Shawn Andrews
51301, Well, he said the Parcells/Belicheck tree
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Jan-08-07 05:31 PM
So Payton fits in. But it was poorly written so it made it seem like Payton was somehow part of the Belicheck lineage. And honestly, he gave so few examples that the whole point was lost.
51302, Good Darrent Williams material though
Posted by HecticHavoc, Mon Jan-08-07 04:45 PM
"In the Denver Broncos' surprising 28-point, Week 8 rout of Philadelphia, left cornerback Darrent Williams, a brash, 23-year-old rookie, ran to the line of scrimmage as Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was barking signals. Just outside the right offensive tackle slot, against air, Williams bobbed toward the line, then jumped back a step. During his cadence, McNabb looked at him, wondering: Is he coming? Is he faking? "You've got to make it look like a decoy,'' Williams said last week. "You've got to act like you've done it before.'' At the snap, the Eagles thought it was a fake, thinking he'd retreat into coverage. Nope. The 5-8 coverman became a sacker, sprinting at McNabb -- who has seven inches and 30 pounds on Williams -- and leveling him with a rib-jarring hit."

I went on to write that Williams shut out Terrell Owens in 15 man-coverage snaps that day.

"I learned never to back down growing up,'' Williams said. "When you're a corner my size, it's something you need to remember all the time.''

The other day, Denver coach Mike Shanahan told me he thought Williams, 24, was going to a Pro Bowl someday. "We were playing Oakland last year,'' Shanahan said, and he reads a pass play in the flat, and he breaks on it and picks it off and goes 80 yards for a touchdown. Broke open the game. I'd like people to know what a good player he was, and a good person.''

What a sin. An unarmed guy not meaning anyone any harm, out on New Year's Eve, in a limo with friends, not driving because it's not smart to drink and drive. Dead, for no reason.
51303, This part here is priceless:
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Jan-08-07 04:47 PM
9. Dallas (9-8). John Madden sort of made this same point on the telecast. But did you see the ball that was snapped to Tony Romo on the botched field-goal hold? Looked very shiny, perhaps slippery. It was one of the "K'' balls. Each game, 12 balls used only for special teams plays are kept on the sidelines, and when there's a punt or a kickoff or a placekick, one of those 12 balls is put into play. The ball came back to Romo on a good snap, and as he transferred the ball in his hands to put it down for the kick, it slipped from his grip. Wish I had a chance to ask him about it after the game. The way it slipped made the ball look like some of the waxy sheen was still on it from having just come out of the box.

10. Seattle (10-7). Good gut-it-out win over Dallas, but a weird one. I still don't know what to think of the Seahawks. They haven't overcome the loss of Steve Hutchinson in free-agency because they still struggle to run with any consistency. Matt Hasselbeck looks like he's running for his life half the time. You're going to ask why I have Dallas ahead of Seattle in these rankings, of course, after Seattle beat Dallas in a playoff game. Simple. I think Dallas is better.

51304, he must hate the 49ers or something
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Jan-08-07 05:12 PM
The Doc was alive for Montana.
51305, he said Don Hutson was better than Jerry Rice
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Jan-08-07 05:35 PM
so you're right, he might hate the Niners, but I think he hates sanity more.
51306, he thinks Otto Graham is the GOAT
Posted by likwit_crew, Mon Jan-08-07 06:31 PM
sounding like those crazy Giants fans that claim 50 Football titles.
51307, and Randell Cunningham.
Posted by Frank Castle, Mon Jan-08-07 06:38 PM
I like Steve McNair too.
51308, and Steve Young + Dan Marino + Warren Moon + John Elway
Posted by celery77, Mon Jan-08-07 06:44 PM
shit, maybe Jim Kelly, too.
51309, and Steve Young + Dan Marino + Warren Moon + John Elway
Posted by celery77, Mon Jan-08-07 06:46 PM
shit, maybe Jim Kelly, too.
51310, Dan Mario and Jim Kelly couldn't win the big games.
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 12:32 PM
51311, AFC Championships are being devalued now?
Posted by gmltheone, Tue Jan-09-07 02:29 PM

"I don't want to die because I ate too many cheeseburgers" The Big Kid aka Shawn Andrews
51312, true. The 80s had the greatest run of quality QBs
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Jan-09-07 03:51 PM
Montana, Marino, Moon, Elway, Kelly, Cunningham, Kosar and 'em.

Right now, The Doc sees three definite quality QBs (Brady, Manning, McNabb) and a few on the cusp (Vick -- he's been robbed of proving it, ITDO, Bulger, Palmer, Leftwich)...

but no era will compare to all those whoopass QBs in the NFL.

Marino did so much in an era when the rules aren't nearly as pussy as they are.

Improbables kept him, Jim Kelly, and the like from winning it. In the parity age, those QBs would have rings.
51313, I don't know about that cause with the salary cap, more teams
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 07:27 PM
are on a even level now. In the 80s and 90s you had powerhouses like the 49ers and Cowboys cause there was no salary cap and Jerry Jones could get any player he wanted bascially. Now it's not like that so yeah Marino and Kelly would be good but I think it would be just as hard if not harder to win. Put Kelly in his prime on the Bills and Marino in his prime on the Dolphins of today.
51314, I'm not saying that but Kelly and Marino never had the killer
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 07:23 PM
instinct like Montana. Now Marino may be the best qb from 20 to20.
51315, Marino had a killer instinct
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Thu Jan-11-07 07:06 PM
he just didn't have a running game behind him.
51316, ^^^ agreed n/m
Posted by Virgenes Corazon, Thu Jan-11-07 08:26 PM
51317, Not to throw ash on your new white shirt but...
Posted by Lach, Thu Jan-11-07 08:38 PM
The Patriots only had a great running game in 1 of their 3 title runs.
51318, Not to grind mud on your new white couch but...
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 01:41 PM
the comparison I was responding to was to Montana, not Brady.

and the Patriots have still had a better running game than Marino's Dolphins anyway.

So FUCK YO COUCH, NIGGA!!!
51319, Montana has the edge, but let him win 1-2 more and he's right, no?
Posted by nonseq, Mon Jan-08-07 06:16 PM
n/m
51320, I just wish Brady got level playing ground as the greats
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-08-07 06:28 PM
I mean, can we please get a marquee receiver in New England? Imagine a Steve Smith or Chad Johnson catching passes from Brady. I still am hoping one day Belichick and them and bring Randy Moss to New England.
51321, We need to replace our possession guys. Who needs a marquee guy?
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Jan-08-07 06:36 PM
While it would be nice, I'm fine with not paying for a big money receiver. I'd rather spend money on defense, RB, and the O-Line.

If we can get a couple of possession receivers in here and have them stick around and get comfortable with Brady, I'm more than happy.
51322, I just want to see it for the "what if" factor
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-08-07 06:38 PM
Like we have to watch Manning throwing bombs to Harrison all the time. I'd just like to see how it would play out if Brady had a guy like a Steve Smith that he could throw to like Montana had Rice.
51323, they were talking about this on Outside the lines I think
Posted by thoughtprocess, Mon Jan-08-07 08:53 PM
yeah Montana has a longer body of work, but Brady already has the best playoff record out of any QB with 5 or mor starts and is only one SB behind Montana. Add on to that the fact he has numbers not far behind Montana with nowhere near the receiving talent. OTL was saying imagine him with Rice and everyone else Montana had, jesus.
51324, Right.
Posted by Frank Castle, Mon Jan-08-07 06:38 PM
51325, will never happen
Posted by all stah, Mon Jan-08-07 06:40 PM
system>>>>product

As long as you have a great system, you can put anyt type of product in that system and it will be a winner...except at QB( you cant replace a queen ..no way no how), everything else are pawns.

I have a felling that that they are going to win another superbowl....they beat a tought as team with ease the other day.

51326, fuckouttahere, Brady is what he his, a glorified DLG-quarterback...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 11:29 AM
I bet a lot of other quarterbacks would love to play with the defenses and coach he's had
51327, Hoge
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 12:37 PM
I realize his D and cocaching have been great, but plug another QB, even Peyton, in there and those three championships are gone.
51328, what happens if you plug in another defense and coach?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 12:45 PM
51329, why do you hate Brady so much?
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 02:32 PM
yeah the D and coaching were CRUCIAL parts of the team, i'm pretty sure i just mentioned that. But so was Brady and you still can't seem to acknowledge that.
51330, I don't really, but Pats fans like Lach get on that " If only Brady had"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 02:41 PM
"WR's like Peyton, blah, blah, blah" like I lot of QB's wouldn't love to have the defense and coach that Brady has had
51331, it's just a hypothetical game
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 02:45 PM
>"WR's like Peyton, blah, blah, blah" like I lot of QB's
>wouldn't love to have the defense and coach that Brady has
>had

there's no harm or whining meant in it.
51332, yes, a game that can be played both ways
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 02:55 PM
51333, That was a hypothetical type situation
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:16 PM
And its true that he doesn't have the WRs that other QBs have which he's compared to. That's THA TRUTH. We're not talking about defenses or team success with that statement because he's won without the top WRs. It was just a thought on what he could do with great WRs in addition to what he already has. What's so bad about that? Because when you compare him to past great QBs like Montana, they had a lot of weapons on offense in addition to their great defenses. But what you seem to ignore are the great defenses that EVERY great or good QB who has won a superbowl has had.
51334, By the way, 5-13 with Bledsoe as Belichick's QB
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 07:30 PM
51335, no.
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 06:46 AM
51336, so does montana get DNLG status as well
Posted by Oakley, Tue Jan-09-07 12:47 PM
since he played in a great system for a great coach and had a great defense?
51337, anybody that actually SAW Montana play knows that's not true
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 12:50 PM
51338, Merrill, is that you?
Posted by Oakley, Tue Jan-09-07 12:54 PM
51339, anyone that actually SAW Jerry Rice play knows
Posted by nonseq, Tue Jan-09-07 04:48 PM
Brady has never had a target of that caliber to throw to. Jerry Rice had 3 QB's (maybe 4) post-Montana in the Pro Bowl and we ALL know Garcia and Gannon needed Rice more than he needed them.

Montana played with more HOF talent on offense than Brady. Same goes for most GOAT QB candidates, especially GOAT SB QB candidates.
51340, it's a salary cap/free agent era now
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 06:39 AM
nobody is playing with as many weapons or as good defenses as those guys were
51341, hypocracy
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 07:28 PM
51342, Man stop hating on Brady cause he beat your Rams in 01.
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 07:32 PM
It's been like what years now? Get over it but what I wanted to say is if that's the case why the colts aren't winning? Tony Dungy is a good ass coach shit Gruden won a superbowl with his team but yet it's been 5 years and Manning still can't get over the hump. Why didn't Bledsoe win with Parcells was coaching the Pats? I could go on and on.
51343, RE: Man stop hating on Brady cause he beat your Rams in 01.
Posted by daskap, Tue Jan-09-07 07:47 PM
and he knows thats the only reason he in here crying. nigga can stay mad for the rest of his life, the outcome of that game ain't changing.
51344, actually this post was more about how much of an idiot Peter King is but I...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 08:06 PM
should have known you Brady-stans would get your panties in a bunch.
51345, Oh I'm not mad at all.
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 10:28 PM
I have one of the best QBs today on my team and we're are making our 5 superbowl run in 6 years. Why would I get mad? But you, you have a right to be mad cause the Rams went from the greatest turf on earth and from being the next dynasty to getting beat in the SB by a future great qb and hall of famer to ? Who would ever thought that #12 would be ranked amongst the greats.
51346, If Brady was on the Rams winning titles
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 11:43 AM
this argument wouldn't even be going on.
51347, actually ..Martz beat the RAMS
Posted by all stah, Sat Jan-13-07 12:58 AM
DUMB ASS PLAY CALLING ...He should have just given the ball to faulk all game long...wasting time outs? ....he was the worst at that.

I like the pats, but the rams gave them that superbowl.

Martz sure did fuck up a dynasty...Great OC, but he SUCKS As a coach...They should have never run Dick Vermiel out.
51348, don't give me this shit.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Sat Jan-13-07 03:38 PM
>DUMB ASS PLAY CALLING ...He should have just given the ball
>to faulk all game long...wasting time outs? ....he was the
>worst at that.

1. this might be true, however you're not giving Bill enough credit. all week everyone was talking about how the pats were gonna blitz the hell out of warner, which is what they had done the last time they faced them. what happened come sunday? barely blitzed him at all. we kept on the receivers, he had nowhere to throw and then we'd eventually get pressure on him and he'd make mistakes.

2. you're acting like the Rams ever had the game in their hands. It was a poor 4th quarter with penalties and mistakes for the Pats that let the Rams back into the game. It was looking like it was gonna be a blowout in the Pats favor for quite a while.

>
>
>Martz sure did fuck up a dynasty...Great OC, but he SUCKS As a
>coach...They should have never run Dick Vermiel out.

now that's all truth.
51349, These cats confuse me with their fandom
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 09:15 PM
You know me and you from up northeast where cats there stick with their home towns. I don't know who roots for what on OKP.
51350, Hell yeah like this cat at my job.
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 10:25 PM
He's florida gators fan, a dallas cowboy fan and a lakers fan. I'm like dude don't you ever get tired of jumping on bandwagons? I said that after he said he was a Bulls fan back in the day.
51351, He's got the D & coaching to win titles tho
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Jan-09-07 12:21 PM
So, maybe he doesn't stack Marino & Manning type numbers but he's can always compete for a title when the D is top notch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And that's the reason we livin where they don't visit..
where the dope slangin keep swangin like Sonny Liston.." © Black Thought
51352, He doesn't Marino or Manning weapons either
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 07:29 PM
Only 2 years has Brady had a good running game around him and he's never had a true elite receiver.
51353, so we can look at other factors
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Jan-09-07 09:53 PM
like his post season performances rather than just raw stats.

51354, yes.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Mon Jan-08-07 08:49 PM
and anybody saying he's not top 2 at that point is just hating.
51355, p. manning >>> t. brady
Posted by NYC upt JUX, Mon Jan-08-07 06:53 PM
when the chargers put the smackdown on them hoe ass patriots, we'll all be hearing a different tune from fags like peter king.
51356, not even close
Posted by all stah, Mon Jan-08-07 06:56 PM
Peyton has to many weapons, gets nevrous in the pocket( happy feet)when the pressure is on, and he cant win big games. He has not won at all win everything is on the line.

Brady?

Composure...works with third string players every year....never gets rattled....doesnt get injured....accuracy is just insane....and can win under any circumstance

its not even close
51357, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Posted by thoughtprocess, Mon Jan-08-07 08:50 PM
you bought in when he won his one playoff game of the year didn't you?
51358, ^ ^ has no authority on QBs ^ ^
Posted by smutsboy, Tue Jan-09-07 09:53 AM
How's the "Eli is GOAT" going for you? Is that working out?

51359, in time, coughlin fucked him up
Posted by NYC upt JUX, Tue Jan-09-07 12:25 PM
51360, delusional.
Posted by Drizzit, Tue Jan-09-07 12:30 PM
51361, shoulda chilled with the "GOAT" talk then, huh?
Posted by smutsboy, Tue Jan-09-07 12:51 PM
n/m
51362, man you crazy as hell. Eli is a bust. His name keeps his
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 08:57 PM
job as starting QB for the Giants.
51363, I pity the youngins who've never seen shit. n/m
Posted by ne_atl, Mon Jan-08-07 07:00 PM
51364, he has worked with less talent than any other qb in history
Posted by all stah, Mon Jan-08-07 07:01 PM
and dont marino....that nigga had duper and clayton...and he choked in the superbowl
51365, So the MVP of the Super Bowl XXXIX Was a Bum?
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Jan-08-07 09:53 PM
I guess so
51366, Two words - Larry Brown
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-08-07 10:13 PM
and I aint talking bout the basketball coach.
51367, Brady is top 2, no debate, BUT
Posted by Challenger, Tue Jan-09-07 12:22 PM
though I agree he's had less talent, it is only at the receiver position. His O-LINE has been incredible. He is hardly ever sacked. That said, the same goes for Peyton's O-Line, difference is, Brady poise is what sets him apart and that can't be taught. Peyton is more talented overall but Brady has the intangible that makes him better, personally.

And, lets not forget the Patriots team having the best kicker of a generation in V, and a hell of a defense. If Peyton's 'idiot' kicker had just made the fg against the Steelers, or Vini had missed in the snow against the Raiders (tuck rule) & Panthers in the Super Bowl, we'd all be singing a different song.

Point being, all the QB can do is put you in position to win and sometimes the difference is as simple as a 'kicker.'

Carry on.

Challenger-
51368, Man, Peyton was bad that whole game till the last 5 minutes
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 12:31 PM
It can't be blamed on the kicker. And while the O-line performs solid for the Patriots, another unrecognized thing is that Brady doesn't waste time getting rid of the ball. (BTW, can a Pats O-lineman get a Probowl call please league?) Most QBs you see do have ample time, but they fuck it up. They need 10 seconds it seems to get a good pass off. It's not like Brady isn't hitting the dirt in games because he is. He just gets right back up, takes another snap, then 1-2-3 and fires to a receiver. I think he's more efficient with his time in the pocket than most QBs which is an underrated characteristic.
51369, and he can take a hit better than most QBs
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 12:49 PM
he will always step into his throws no matter who's coming after him. and he gets wrecked sometimes, but hey, the pass was completed.

they showed eli the other day and how he runs away from every hit which causes him to be unbalanced on his throws and throw INTs
51370, It CAN be blamed on the kicker b/c if they won, Peyton's
Posted by Challenger, Tue Jan-09-07 11:05 PM
bad play would not be remembered. Much like Roethlisberger is celebrated as a SuperBowl winner even though he had the worse QB game of ANY in history.

If the Patriots kicker missed against Oakland OR the Panthers, Brady would have a different legacy. Period.

That said, I agree that he gets rid of the ball fast and takes a good hit when it comes. As much attention as they get, I still feel both are UNDERappreciated. Brady b/c all he does is win & Peyton b/c his incredible stats are expected.

Challenger-
51371, nah, you can't blame that loss on V....
Posted by kayru99, Thu Jan-11-07 07:23 PM
cuz, he missed on ONE play, while peyton fucked up on SEVERAL plays to get them in the position.

Seriously, his play-calling and general hoe-osity has fucked the colts in the playoffs for several years in a row, now.
51372, RE: Brady is top 2, no debate, BUT
Posted by Oakley, Tue Jan-09-07 12:52 PM
>though I agree he's had less talent, it is only at the
>receiver position.

Antowaine Smith
51373, They forget the Patriots have only had a running game 2 years
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 03:34 PM
They won 2 superbowls without a potent running game. Smith was hilarious.
51374, When it's all said and done...
Posted by emeyesi, Mon Jan-08-07 10:01 PM
51375, IF BRADY WINS IT ALL THIS YEAR
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Tue Jan-09-07 11:57 AM
HE IS IN THE TOP 3 & IS ALREADY IN THE HOF. because only 2 stats matters bitches:

11-1 in the playoffs (best ever win %)
3 super bowls

montana- 16-6 in playoffs
4 super bowls
51376, Troy Aikman won 3 SB's too, Bradshaw won 4
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 12:36 PM
51377, both played in non-cap eras with considerably more talented teams
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 12:49 PM
I don't think these Pats have another potential Hall of Fame player (outside of if you want to include their kicker or their coach).

But it is too early to start talking about Brady as the best, let's just see how the rest of the prime of his career plays out. I can see he's the best of this current era (from 2000 on, without question).

For the moment, Joe Montana is unquestionably the best quarterback of my lifetime. And people talk about his supporting cast forgetting that Joe won his first Super Bowl without just about any of the guys normally cited outside of a rookie Ronnie Lott. That Niner team was a basement-dwelling squad before Montana and Walsh came in and gave them an identity.
51378, right, I forgot the "Brady won 3 SB's with a bunch of Arena leaguers"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 12:53 PM
argument
51379, is that what i said? I know you gotta stay on message but why
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 01:01 PM
don't you tell me what I actually said in my previous post that was not true. Thanks in advance.
51380, nobody else on that team may make the HOF which depends...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 01:15 PM
on things like longevity and and a number of other factors but lets not act like the Patriots have been little sisters of the poor during this run:

Law, Milloy, Bruschi, McGinest, Seymour, Harrison, Dillion, Vinetieri

I don't about HOF but those guys have a lot of pro bowls between them
51381, none of those guys are going to the HOF outside of maybe Adam V
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 01:35 PM
and I'm not gonna act like the Pats haven't had a great team around him during the run, obviously they would have to in order to do what they've done.

But the talent level on those Cowboys and Steeler teams was undoubtedly better and that era was more conducive to being able to keep the core together and in the case of the Cowboys improve each year through free agency.

Then again, I think that those Pitt 70s teams or the early 90s Cowboy teams would smash any year of the Pats during this run so it becomes hard to compare.

I'll just say that Brady has been the best QB of this era and we'll try to figure out the rest of it after he's finished.
51382, Aiking only had one, possibly 2 HOF teammates
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 01:50 PM
51383, huh? Emmitt is a lock, Irvin will probably get in (he's just hated
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 01:59 PM
so it might take a minute), Larry Allen will get in, Deion will get in, and Charles Haley has an outside shot.
51384, Larry Allen will probably get in, Irvin is on the bubble, Haley is not...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jan-11-07 11:05 AM
getting in. Deion was only there for the last SB they won
51385, RE: Larry Allen will probably get in, Irvin is on the bubble, Haley is not...
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Jan-11-07 06:58 PM
>getting in. Deion was only there for the last SB they won
>
Emmitt and Larry are locks. Irvin will get in, they're just hating on him at the moment plus he had that drug incident last year right around the announcement of candidates. That's three players on his side of the ball.

I know Deion was only there for one, does that not count?

Haley probably won't get in, which I don't really get.....dude was one of the dominating lineman of his era and has five rings.

I also forgot to mention Darren Woodson, who has a legitimate shot.

51386, irvin on the bubble??..are you nuts?
Posted by all stah, Fri Jan-12-07 06:21 AM
he stats are insane, and his career ended early because of injury..

They are shoe-ins:

Aikman
Moose ( as a fullback ...blocking? ...the best)
Emmitt
Deion
Larry Allen
Irvin

Shoe-ins I tell you ...in on the first ballot

The pats? ...none of the wr's are in, nor are the TE's in, maybe dillion

Pats have been talented on D , not offense. ..Brady has worked with 2nd and third stringers ...and he is still ill...I mean his passes are so mutherfucking accurate...He's the best ...All other qbs had great talent and consistent talent( most of them staid together)

Bradshaw - stallworth, Swan, Harris

Fouts- Chandlier, Winslow, Muncey ( I know I fucked up the spelling)

Marino- Duper, Calyton

Montana- Jerry Rice ...that's all I have to say

Aikman - Irvin, Emmitt, Moose, Novicane( mutherfucker OD on that shit)and Hill

Peyton - This niggas is overrated ....he has had the most talent ever ...harrison,clarke,james, addai,wayne, stokely, utrecht....just insane

51387, Irvin already missed first ballot, genius, and Moose ain't getting in.
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 10:10 AM
>he stats are insane, and his career ended early because of
>injury..
>
>They are shoe-ins:
>
>Aikman
>Moose ( as a fullback ...blocking? ...the best)
>Emmitt
>Deion
>Larry Allen
>Irvin
>
>
>Shoe-ins I tell you ...in on the first ballot
>
51388, unless Mike ends up w/a dead hooker in his trunk, he's getting in
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 03:00 PM
... although I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility of the dead hooker scenario.

regardless, you KNOW Irvin was a HOF caliber WR.

51389, lol you said Clark and Utecht
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 10:16 AM
51390, at TE??? them mugs can catch
Posted by all stah, Fri Jan-12-07 12:48 PM
my bad on irvin ...I forgot about that ...but had it no been for the drug shit..he would be in
51391, there not any more talented than Watson and Graham
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 05:30 PM
Stokley has hardly played in two years and Maroney vs. Addai is a wash
51392, Jay Novichik, Charles Haley, Darren Woodson, Ken Norton
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 07:35 PM
Deion Sanders, Charles Haley? Are you kidding me?
51393, Novacek and Norton ain't gettin in
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 08:02 PM
but his original point about one maybe two HOF guys was incorrect so I guess that's why he's not going back to it.
51394, Oh I know. I just spazzed out cause Truth act like Aikman aint
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 08:58 PM
had mad good talent around him.
51395, 11-1 dawg
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Tue Jan-09-07 02:24 PM
51396, Adam is in, and Law and McGinest have a good shot
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 02:44 PM
and outside of that he's never had a legit offense the way the guys you mentioned did.

anyways, we're talking about offensive players in the HOF surrounding these QBs. You brought up Bradshaw, well besides possibly the greatest D ever he had Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, and an HOF center with Mike Webster. Aikman had Emmitt, who will be in, and Irvin who's probably going to get in eventually too (and we all know should already be there).
51397, McGinest ain't gettin in, Law would need some more great years
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-09-07 09:01 PM
>and outside of that he's never had a legit offense the way
>the guys you mentioned did.
>
>anyways, we're talking about offensive players in the HOF
>surrounding these QBs. You brought up Bradshaw, well besides
>possibly the greatest D ever he had Franco Harris, Lynn Swann,
>and an HOF center with Mike Webster. Aikman had Emmitt, who
>will be in, and Irvin who's probably going to get in
>eventually too (and we all know should already be there).
>
51398, Non-cap era also = considerably more talented opponents
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 08:59 PM
Why does this only work one way? The NFC teams of the late '80s, early '90s would EMBARRASS any of those Patriot SB squads, who NEVER won games in convincing fashion.

Tom Brady is a talented QB, but y'all have to be high as shit to SERIOUSLY think his name is worth mentioning ANYWHERE near the #2 spot.
51399, actually, it meant more lopsided match-ups
Posted by Jon, Tue Jan-09-07 10:57 PM
it meant certain teams could hog all the talent

it meant you could have like 2-4 mini all-pro teams facing off against a bunch of baron wastelands and only have to play tough games in the NFC championship games lol
51400, I disagree
Posted by BISON CLASS of 97, Thu Jan-11-07 11:58 PM
The top of the league was much much stronger back then The 49ers Bills Cowboys Steelers Oilers Broncos Dolphins Packers made the playoffs year after year because they had depth. Teams today don't have depth thats why teams will win 12 games 1 year and 7 the next.
51401, Those teams had a lot of depth then with pro bowlers
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:22 AM
because they could shell out a lot more dough than other teams like we see in baseball right now. Nowadays, teams couldn't make it work to have so many good guys on one squad because of the cap.
51402, True that's why I think it was harder to win a championship
Posted by BISON CLASS of 97, Fri Jan-12-07 01:02 AM
back then. You would have 6-8 really really good teams in the playoffs now you have 6-8 slightly above average teams in the playoffs
51403, there wasn't 6-8 all-star teams. there was like 2-3 and the rest were
Posted by Jon, Fri Jan-12-07 12:35 PM
very streaky

miami and steelers usually had half-way decent teams, but barely ever made any kind of real splash. steelers made the superbowl once, but that was by far their best season of the 90's.

Cowboys and 49ers easily hogged most of the talent.

the Bills dominated the AFC for a few years.

the fins were usually somewhere in the wildcard mix, mostly because of marino.

the lions were usually making a playoff run, only to get creamed in the first round.

then you had teams like the giants, eagles, packers, chiefs, and some others who would usually be someone's division-round whipping boy.

but all these teams were mostly filled with a few guys you knew and the rest: no-names.

the cowboys and 49ers truly hogged all the stardom.

nostalgia aside, i can easily say this is a much more competetive and exciting era in the NFL.
51404, The quality of the football being played is in decline
Posted by BISON CLASS of 97, Fri Jan-12-07 03:49 PM
Just because every team has a chance to win it means nothing to me. I want to see good football and on most Sundays its hard to find 2 good football teams playing each other.

Competitive and good are very different. I didn't get hyped watching the Cowboys and The Seahawks play bad football or seeing the sorry ass Jets and Giants in the playoffs

I never said they were allstar teams all I said is that the teams had more depth. This cannot be disputed the number of teams and the salary cap has spread the talent thin for the most part

If you think the quality of football being played now is as good or better than the football that was played 10 years ago you are insane.
51405, but you can't really compare the teams
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 06:54 AM
b/c each are from different eras

playing in before the cap/FA is not a distinct advantage - sure the Patriots are less talented than those teams, but so are all the other teams they play
51406, ^^^Even Will knows the deal
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 11:15 AM
The cats on these boards will say its all about the Pats D and nothing else and then act like past dynasties like the Niners didn't rank in the top 10 or 5 in defense every year they won the title. They being hypocrits man.
51407, I'm just saying it's not outright comparable
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 11:27 AM
back then you could keep all your studs on offense while still having a great defense

but...you played some really strong teams in the playoffs who were also stacked on both sides of the ball

nowadays nobody has that kind of true balance on offense and defense, with free agency leading to a huge change of personnel every year

but...you play some really mediocre teams in the playoffs because everybody has a weakness due to the cap

so it's about even
51408, That's what I'm saying
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:39 PM
But cats are acting like the Patriots are playing on a different field from other teams. It's like bullshit. It's part greatness of the core players we have, part greatness of the coaching staff and draft selections, and smart free agent pick ups. Like anyone in the league wanted Junior Seau's retiring ass. Nah mean? We made it work. No one wants old Troy Brown now. We made it work. Just like your boys are making things work too. Yall lose 2 top 10 running backs in Manning's days there (Faulk and James) and yall consistently win 12 to 14 games a year. But they ignore all those things on these boards. It's a trip. They'll say LT is the GOAT (even tho he plays in the same "watered-down league" as everyone else). But then will use the "watered-down league" example to shoot down guys like Brady and Manning's achievements. Its like ok... Only on OKP man.
51409, you think THOSE guys are better than brady?
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 12:54 PM
honestly? cuz i can see the case for montana, but aikman had talent all over the place on offense and if you were knocking brady for having a great D then how aren't you doing the same bradshaw?

and again, the salary cap.
51410, Brady took Truth's heart in 01....lol.
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 07:37 PM
Truth you cool and I like reading ya post but come on man?
51411, lol
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 10:13 PM
Brady won against the Ram and then fucked Truth's girl or something to get him this mad.
51412, that's just the thing, we lost that game more due to people like Ty...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 10:36 AM
Law, Willie McGinest and Adam Vinetieri than Tom Brady. Brady only had like 140 yards passing in the game. He hit on a couple of checkdowns to set up the winning FG and that's why he got the MVP but othe than that he did nothing special in that game.
51413, Man, you talking in circles like Senator Kerry
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 01:45 PM
First you say it's a team thing. Then you say it's this select group of Patriots that brought about the Superbowl wins.

Just say it was a sum of all the parts of the team and be done with it. Because that's what it was. Stop pinpointing some group. The Patriots beat the Rams because of the defense AND because of the offense. Everyone contributed. And yes, Brady won MVP because when things got rough, he delivered like "Montana". He just didn't throw a game-winning TD. And Belichick ran circles around Martz in terms of coaching as he beat the #1 offense seen in like your lifetime with the 20 something rank defense.
51414, that's exactly what I've been saying, genius...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 02:00 PM
>Just say it was a sum of all the parts of the team and be done
>with it. Because that's what it was. Stop pinpointing some
>group. The Patriots beat the Rams because of the defense AND
>because of the offense.
51415, AHA
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 02:14 PM
But the only thing is you won't admit that philosophy with any other great teams/players.
51416, Pats fan...
Posted by gmltheone, Tue Jan-09-07 04:45 PM
You do know how ridiculous it is to argue a man's greatness while poormouthing the team around him when the x-factor in his greatness is a team honor. His superbowl rings are tied to the greatness of the teams he led. The patriots are superbowl champions...not just tom brady.

You can't have it both ways.

King is on some fan-boy hyperbole shit and has always been when it comes to that organization. He's the real we roll our eyes when the topic comes up. Brady throws a 13yd completion and he does 3 paragraphs on it. Let his career be what it is. Why does he have to be anointed anything now? If he goes out there and has fun 5 times against the chargers it won't matter.

51417, lol
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 04:52 PM
>You do know how ridiculous it is to argue a man's greatness
>while poormouthing the team around him when the x-factor in
>his greatness is a team honor. His superbowl rings are tied
>to the greatness of the teams he led. The patriots are
>superbowl champions...not just tom brady.
>
>You can't have it both ways.

we're not bashing the greatness of the team, we're saying he never had the great receiving corps or offenses the other great QBs had. Is that not true?

51418, but you guys absolutely REFUSE to acknowlege the FACT that Brady...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 07:43 PM
had some things going in his favor that a lot of other great QB's never had

>we're not bashing the greatness of the team, we're saying he
>never had the great receiving corps or offenses the other
>great QBs had. Is that not true?
51419, What does he have in his favor that other greats NEVER had??
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 08:06 PM
Tell me. Cuz Montana had the coaching, the playmakers, the defenses, etc. So you're trying to tell me Brady has things on his teams that other greats - Elway, Montana, and Young (for example) NEVER had???
51420, The only thing Brady has over them on his teams is Belichick
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 08:08 PM
who's arguably one of the top 3 greatest coaches ever seen.
51421, in post #69 you're crying that Brady never had the weapons that Manning...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 08:15 PM
or Marino had.

Did they have defenses like the defense Brady has had in his SB years?

And I know you guys don't like to talk about it but since you like to deal in hypotheticals if it wasn't for the tuck rule the Brady legend might have never existed.
51422, What's interesting about Manning tho...
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 08:41 PM
is that his defenses haven't performed poorly in the playoffs. It's been him consistently. Unless you've been watching a different Manning. I dunno. But the reason we were talking about weapons that the QBs have in the first place is because we were discussing individual greatness I thought and not just team success. Of course the Colts have never played D like the Pats. But at the same time, the Pats use a lot of cats of defense that no one wants and then anchors them around a dab of very good players like your Seymours, McGinests, Laws, Milloys, etc. That's where Belichick does his best work. I mean, everyone in the NFL has talent or they wouldn't be there. So of course all our players have talent. Are there teams with more individual talent than the Pats? Of course. Or am I lying about that? But that's what makes the Patriots special in today's league. Now this weekend they go up against a team that on paper is far superior to them. Now if the Pats win, you mean to tell me we have more talent overall than the Chargers? I mean, what are you and everyone trying to say about Brady? He isn't that good? He shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Montana just because? LOL. Yall make these boards a blast to be a part of though. I actually do laugh out loud when reading a lot of stuff here.

>
>And I know you guys don't like to talk about it but since you
>like to deal in hypotheticals if it wasn't for the tuck rule
>the Brady legend might have never existed.

I'll talk about the tuck rule. It happened and we won. We came back 2 more times to show our organization wasn't a fluke. Yall picking.

If you really want to get technical and down dirty with everything, we can compare the amount of pro bowlers the Pats have, concrete stuff, etc. But there's no need for that but that's the kind of conversation you all are making this Brady thing into.
51423, and WTF does Brady have to do with all of that?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 08:54 PM
>Of course the Colts have never played D
>like the Pats. But at the same time, the Pats use a lot of
>cats of defense that no one wants and then anchors them around
>a dab of very good players like your Seymours, McGinests,
>Laws, Milloys, etc. That's where Belichick does his best work.
>I mean, everyone in the NFL has talent or they wouldn't be
>there. So of course all our players have talent. Are there
>teams with more individual talent than the Pats? Of course. Or
>am I lying about that? But that's what makes the Patriots
>special in today's league.

how many tackles has Brady made? how many sacks does he have? The Pats are the only multiple SB winner to not have a top 5 ranked offense.

>Now this weekend they go up against
>a team that on paper is far superior to them. Now if the Pats
>win, you mean to tell me we have more talent overall than the
>Chargers?

The gap in talent is not as big as you make it out to be. Sure the Chargers have LDT but Rivers is essential a rookie at QB and his WR's are worse than Brady's. The Pats defense is ranked higher than the Chargers as well.

51424, So what you're getting at is...
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 09:03 PM
the Patriots are a very talented team that can plug in any QB and win in regards to Brady because the defense is what really has gotten them the titles? It's not a combination of an all-time great QB with a very talented team? That's why he's not in Montana's league or as good as Montanna. Is that it? Help me. I'm just trying to get to the nitty gritty.
51425, I think what a lot of NE fans don't like to acknowledge
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Jan-09-07 10:30 PM
is NE goes as the defense goes. Look at NE since 01.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nweindex.htm

Look at Brady's #s since 01.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BradTo00.htm

When NE has a top D ( 01, 03, 04 ) & this season, they're legitimate SB contenders. In 2 of Brady's top 3 seasons ( 02, 05 ) NE missed the playoffs & lost in the divisional round.

Obviously Brady, as the QB, gets credit for everything he's done to help NE win titles but we gotta look at the entire picture.

51426, ^^^REAL TALK! POST OVER!
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 10:28 AM
51427, LOL! Yall are funny. We all know defense wins championships
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 11:41 AM
But it seems like you're trying to imply that other great teams won in spite of their defenses and not because they had great defenses as well as great offensive stars? What are you saying? Those Niners teams didn't have great defenses? The Cowboys??? Yall are killing me pulling up stuff. We all know defense wins championships. The Niners were ranked at least 4th in team defense in every year they won the Superbowl with Montana, except for one year where they were 9th. So to imply that the Patriots defense negates anything Brady does is silly.

And BTW just for argument sakes, the Patriots have never been ranked in the top 5 of team defense in ANY year they won the title. The Patriots have always been built on a good D that bends and doesn't break. Which is why they allow more yards than some other teams, but allow fewer touchdowns/points. And in 2001, they were ranked like 5th from the bottom or some shit. But yall know all the facts.
51428, Dude that's every SB winner for the past 80 years.
Posted by Frank Castle, Sat Jan-13-07 04:46 PM
Let's look at the past 10 years.

Did the Steelers have a good defense.....yes

Did the Pats have a good defense.......yes

How bout Tampa Bay? Didn't they have a good defense or how bout them Ravens? Yeah Trent Dilfer was ballin. Negro please.

Let's not even talk about the Broncos or Cowboys or 49ers or Packers.
51429, Like what?
Posted by Frank Castle, Tue Jan-09-07 08:59 PM
51430, posts 37 and 55
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 10:19 PM
sorry you can't read, but don't take it out on me son. and like lach said, did the other great QBs not have great D's? You mention Bradshaw like the Steel Curtain never existed.
51431, He also NEVER faced as stiff of competition as the early '90s NFC
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 09:03 PM
Name me one solid team that Brady knocked off, not some flash in the pan team riding a hot hand to the SB*. THEN name me ONE of those teams that they beat in convincing fashion. They DIDN'T. They did exactly what was needed to win, no more no less. Brady is good, but let's not get insane. I seriously didn't know y'all Pats fans were this fucking insane. Just a little success getting to your head THAT bad?

*TUCK RULE
51432, So to interpret what you're saying...
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 09:06 PM
Brady shouldn't be compared to Montana because the Patriots have never beaten a great team by a large margin? Every team Brady has faced in the big game has been a so-so team? Does that sum it up?
51433, Yes -- Montana beat numerous teams that would eat Brady for lunch
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 10:07 PM
Also, to try to diminish Montana's achievements because he had a better team, while ignoring the fact that he was playing AGAINST better teams, is selective reasoning.

Stop trying to shove him up against the true greats of the position, when he's only proven himself in unconvincing fashion* against unconvincing opponents.

*TUCK RULE
51434, LOL
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 10:15 PM
>Also, to try to diminish Montana's achievements because he
>had a better team, while ignoring the fact that he was playing
>AGAINST better teams, is selective reasoning.

Never did that. It actually seems the other way around. Like you and some others are trying to diminish Brady's achievements by any means necessary.

>Stop trying to shove him up against the true greats of the
>position, when he's only proven himself in unconvincing
>fashion* against unconvincing opponents.

Wow. Ok, Brady isn't in the league of Montana or any of the greats according to you based on competition. I guess Manning isn't in anyone's league either. Everyone today is pure garbage. Oh well.
51435, Manning's a talented guy, but he's a choker -- what's the issue?
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 10:23 PM
We all know this. I'd easily rate Manning as one of the most talented men to play the position, but I would NEVER rate him as one of the greats, because he chokes worse than a two-year-old who just swallowed some ipikak.

Let's take Jim Kelly as a comparison point. Let's say Norwood makes that FG in that one SB. Now Jim Kelly has one SB under his belt, proceeds to lose the next three in stunning fashion, but still he's there four times in a row.

Let's take Tom Brady. Let's say common sense and human decency prevailed, and the Tuck Rule never happened. Now that's two SB victories. Let's say Viniateri misses a kick or Andy Ried manages clock better, now that's one SB. How is Jim Kelly not in Tom Brady's league then?

Brady's a good QB -- I'm not denying that, but I mean someone DID post "clear #2" which is flat-out one of the stupidest things I've ever read in OK sports. You guys got two SB victories*, congrats. Try not to let it get to your head so much though, huh?

*TUCK RULE
51436, The Eagles and Rams
Posted by Oakley, Tue Jan-09-07 09:19 PM
were "flash in the pan" teams?
the colts are/were a flash in the pan team?
FOH
51437, Greatest Show On Turf
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 09:21 PM
I guess they were gar-bage.
51438, Oh yeah, I remember that famed Ram defense, how could I forget?
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 10:13 PM
I also remember the Eagles having one of their most critical players going against doctor's orders and playing with a steel rod in his leg, then I also remember the game being criminally close and many observers noting that Andy Ried's coaching decisions had an awful lot to do with the loss.

I also NEVER remember Joe Montana winning a famous game by a FG. I remember TWO different emblematic last second TDs in the greatest stages available, and a good number of fairly dominant performances from start to finish, but I don't ever recall a kicker sealing the big game.
51439, The Rams D was just overshadowed by their O.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 10:28 PM
they were one of the best in the league, people forget this. They gave up less points that season than all but 5 teams, and were only one point behing the Pats.

>I also remember the Eagles having one of their most critical
>players going against doctor's orders and playing with a steel
>rod in his leg, then I also remember the game being criminally
>close and many observers noting that Andy Ried's coaching
>decisions had an awful lot to do with the loss.

I also remember our team just being better and everyone realizing it after the game.

>
>I also NEVER remember Joe Montana winning a famous game by a
>FG. I remember TWO different emblematic last second TDs in
>the greatest stages available, and a good number of fairly
>dominant performances from start to finish, but I don't ever
>recall a kicker sealing the big game.

So you're saying that when the Pats were tied with opponents they should have gone for a TD rather than a field goal when they have the most clutch field goal kicker in history? sorry we didn't have deficits to overcome like Montana did, guess we'll try harder to lose for 3 and a half quarters so that Brady can prove himself. He clearly hasn't done enough convincing yet.
51440, Rams had the #1 offense of the last 25 years or something
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 12:08 PM
and went up against a Pats team ranked 20 something.
51441, exactly, has Brady EVER thrown a game-winning TD pass?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 12:32 PM
its seems like every big game the Pats won always came to to a Vintieri FG. Sure Brady sustains drives and puts his team in position to win on those FG's, but he really doesn't have a lot of signature post-season moments where you can say, "This is why this guy is great"

Montana has a ton of them, "The Catch" to Dwight Clark in the '81 NFC championship, the game-winner to John Taylor vs. the Bengals in the '89 SB with 34 seconds left, the 5 TD's vs. Denver in the '90 SB.

Montana holds postseason records for most TD passes and passing yards.
51442, That's partly coaching tho
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 12:39 PM
Belichick is notorious for not taking big chances in big situations when he's up.
51443, That's understandable and a lot of that has to do with other things...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 12:52 PM
like their defense playing well enough were they usually aren't more than a FG down late, last year in Denver was an exception and we saw the result.

You also should be able to understand, fair or unfair, a lot of people are going to be reluctant to put Brady among the all-time greats until he has that one defining moment when his team is down by more than a FG and he throws a game-winning TD pass.
51444, It's also partly performance -- and Bill Walsh wasn't playing to lose
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-10-07 12:54 PM
He was just in a situation where he TRULY needed his QB to perform, and his QB did. When Brady is finally tested in a position like that, and not in this bullshit modern NFL "just get it to the 25" fashion, then we'll have more to talk about.
51445, double standards
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 02:17 PM
51446, he has, just not in the playoffs.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 12:43 AM
51447, That's when it counts, genius. That why Joe Montana is the G.O.A.T....
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 10:12 AM
he played his best on the biggest stage.
51448, So you have to throw a game-winning TD?
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 11:05 AM
Even though you still dominate in the playoffs and win Superbowl MVPs? And you still have 3 Superbowl rings with more coming? I'm not saying Montana isn't the GOAT. But it seems like you guys are saying that Brady can't ever surpass him if he keeps up what he's doing which doesn't make sense. That's like if Kobe was to win 5 titles in a row and currently working on a 6th and someone saying well Jordan or Magic is still the GOAT and he can never be considered greater. Do you get what I'm saying?
51449, you need to relax dude, you asked a question and i answered it.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 11:11 AM
damn.

and plus, he's never been in a situation in the playoffs where he's needed to go for a touchdown. sorry we don't play from more than three points behind in the 4th quarter.
51450, umm...did you watch the playoffs last season?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 11:14 AM
51451, what about the playoffs last year?????
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 11:17 AM
51452, Champ Bailey happened.
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 11:29 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20060114_NE@DEN
51453, That's what happens when you can't run the ball at all
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 11:41 AM
And you have to predictably throw the ball on 2 and 1, 3rd and inches, etc. Last year there was no run game whatsoever. But shit happens. Like I guess that '82 Niners team never happened either.
51454, ^^^PLEAS COPPED! The G.O.A.T. qb shouldn't need a running game...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 11:53 AM
he won 2 other championships without a running game, right? should be a piece of cake! NOPE! When it counted and his team need a TOUCHDOWN instead of a FG he CHOKED!! Running game or no running game that was an AWFUL throw.
51455, You're unbelieveable
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:04 PM
You're completely ignoring all the playoff losses Montana had. Ignoring them and saying because Brady didn't deliver last year then bla bla bla. Man, that's talking in circles. Brady's never had a below .500 or an even .500 season in his career. Joe did. I mean if you wanna sling dirt. Because you seem bent on saying one thing about Brady but ignoring it for another. Or maybe I'm wrong about all the posts you've made.
51456, You're missing the point -- Montana lost to GOOD teams
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-12-07 12:12 PM
Not some fucking rag-tag thrown together group of mercenaries riding a hot hand into a couple lucky playoff victories.
51457, He lost to teams on an even playing field
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:21 PM
same as Brady has. I mean, its difficult to compare past and present times with the NFL, but you guys are the ones who started with these comparisons. But like Will said above, you can't write off someone for achieving greatness in today's league just because of the cap era. Because it essentially helps to make everyone on the same playing field. So if you consider today's league a shitty league, then everyone's playing on a shitty foundation. You get me?
51458, lol, you're really reaching now, other than the strike shortened season...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 12:14 PM
in '82 Montana never had a below .500 year either!
51459, But he had one
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:17 PM
And my friend, you're the one reaching bringing up any and everything. That's why I brought that up.
51460, L
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 12:22 PM
51461, You're being selective Theo
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:32 PM
Telling half truths/half stories to your OK family.
51462, Did Brady CHOKE in the postseason when he team needed a TD?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 12:41 PM
51463, Yes
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:52 PM
But I remember someone not being very Montana-ish on a few playoff occasions as well. So bringing up one bad playoff game means what in the grand scheme of things? He didn't complete a 3-peat title run? lol
51464, "3-peat" means consecutively, genius.
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 01:29 PM
51465, You didn't understand what I was saying youngin
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 01:31 PM
I asked you what did his failure last year mean in the grand scheme of things? And what I was trying to say to you is that all it meant is that he failed on a 3 peat attempt.
51466, you keep trying to change the subject, when Brady's team needs a TD...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 01:44 PM
in a big game he can't get it done, bottom line.

51467, I admitted he didn't come thru
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 02:38 PM
What else do you want? You want me to say that wipes out everything else about him? That would be retarded. Because no one comes through EVERY time out.
51468, remember folks
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 12:03 PM
these Patriots fans are the same ones who wanted to speculate on Corey Dillon's chances at the Hall of Fame two years ago, think Laurence Maroney is the best rookie of 2006 and make statements like these:

"BTW, can a Pats O-lineman get a Probowl call please league?"

oh, but when they lose a game then the linemen suck and there is no run game

Antowain Smith and the Patriots ran for 133 yards in the SB win over St. Louis, or one yard less than Brady threw for
51469, When did I or anyone say the Pats O-line sucked?
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:30 PM
My comments have always been about the guys actually running the ball. If I've ever dissed our O-line, you will have to show me. And I neve said Maroney was the best rookie out there. You know, in all this, I just see double talk with the guys currently dissin. They'll good as say Manning aint shit and not one of the great QBs because he plays in a cap era. I mean, I just don't get all these arguments.
51470, actually it was ThaTruth that began the Maroney post
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 12:36 PM
lol
51471, I know. That's the irony of it all. If a cat is from his places
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 12:43 PM
he will crown them king. I thought my Uncle Charlie was the biggest hypocrit I knew till I started posting on OK Sports. lol
51472, lol
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 11:25 AM
i meant in a position to score a game-winning TD, didn't know i had to explain these things to you.
51473, RE: He also NEVER faced as stiff of competition as the early '90s NFC
Posted by Frank Castle, Sat Jan-13-07 04:51 PM
>Name me one solid team that Brady knocked off, not some flash
>in the pan team riding a hot hand to the SB*. THEN name me
>ONE of those teams that they beat in convincing fashion. They
>DIDN'T. They did exactly what was needed to win, no more no
>less. Brady is good, but let's not get insane. I seriously
>didn't know y'all Pats fans were this fucking insane. Just a
>little success getting to your head THAT bad?
>
>
>
>
>*TUCK RULE

CAROLINA PANTHERS DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD DEFENSE THE YEAR THEY WENT TO THE SUPERBOWL? The Eagles with JIM JOHNSON????? Yo Brady WON!! It's all that matters at the end of the day HE WON! Ask Marino or Kelly if they would mind winning a SB by 3 or less points. And then why you wanna know a team the Pats beat in comvincing fashion if the Pats did exactly what they needed to do? Just log off.
51474, and I'm STILL tryinig to figure out how Sean Payton is part of the...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 04:54 PM
"Bill Belichick tree"

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/coachbio.cfm?coachid=312

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton

Is Belichick so great that he tutors coaches on other teams?
51475, it was very poorly worded
Posted by thoughtprocess, Tue Jan-09-07 10:30 PM
but he meant to put him under the Parcells tree, and thus his collective "Parcells/Belichick" tree.
51476, no, he just fucked up
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 04:11 PM
51477, I can see that.
Posted by CliffDogg, Tue Jan-09-07 08:06 PM
51478, see this:
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jan-09-07 08:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana

51479, These cats act like we're trying to dis the rest of the Pats
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 08:10 PM
and say they're bums. We're not saying that. We're saying that on paper, there are TONS of players teams would take over the guys the Patriots have or had outside of a few like Brady, Seymoour, Adam V, Tedd Bruschi, Ty Law.
51480, fuck him
Posted by explizit, Tue Jan-09-07 08:25 PM
I'll take montana over brady anyday.
51481, I guess only the Pats fans are doing selective reasoning
Posted by Lach, Tue Jan-09-07 10:16 PM
in these posts. Everyone else is just telling it like it is. Go figure.
51482, There's a difference between "good QB" and "clear #2"
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-09-07 10:25 PM
One is a defensible position, the other is pure fucking madness. I'd like to think you could sort out which one's which, but apparently the shitty weather has gotten to you.
51483, actually, the weather in Boston's been nice
Posted by MadDagoNH, Wed Jan-10-07 11:03 AM
Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Lach isn't livin in Boston right now.

San Fran fans feel violated when people compare Brady to Montana, so they try and shit on his accomplishments. I've pretty much come to expect that.

------------
I feel old. I been out there since I was 13. I ain't never fucked up a count, never stole off a package, never did some shit that I wasn't told to do. I been straight up. But what come back?" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus
51484, Just like "nice weather in Boston" is still pure ass by CA standards...
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-10-07 11:42 AM
comparing Brady to Montana is just dumb.

I don't want my boy Joe's name -- or shit, even Steve's -- cheapened like that, so yeah, I'll say something.
51485, I guess I can understand that
Posted by MadDagoNH, Wed Jan-10-07 11:56 AM
I mean, I still get kinda upset when people say Barry Bonds was a greater hitter than Ted Williams, so wanting to protect your guys is understandable.

Of course, Ted Williams was what Barry Bonds may have become if he didn't become the Incredible Expanding Man, so that part's pretty much undeniable.

The difference here is that Brady's accomplished a ton at a pretty young age. While you may disagree with putting him up there, there's the absolute possibility that he wins more Super Bowls and has better numbers by the end of his career. If he does that, there will always be discussions on whether he's as good or better than Montana.

------------
I feel old. I been out there since I was 13. I ain't never fucked up a count, never stole off a package, never did some shit that I wasn't told to do. I been straight up. But what come back?" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus
51486, So Brady's done nothing to be compared to Montana
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 12:30 PM
whatsoever in your mind? I mean, I grew watching Joe. I know how good he was. But I remember the so-so seasons too. He was best in the clutch. Best when the Niners truly needed him. But to say he's untouchable is unreasonable.
51487, lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-10-07 12:34 PM
>whatsoever in your mind? I mean, I grew watching Joe. I know
>how good he was. But I remember the so-so seasons too. He was
>best in the clutch. Best when the Niners truly needed him. But
>to say he's untouchable is unreasonable.
51488, He's won two SBs*, which is equal to Elway, one more than Favre
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-10-07 12:51 PM
How fucking dumb does Peter King have to be to ignore THOSE names as well, never mind Montana? I mean shoot, you play a good game in the SB, you're like the next coming now?

He's a good QB. He has a *chance* to legitimately belong in the discussion of the elites at the position. But right now he's on Jim fucking Kelly's level to me, and will be until he can actually win some games in convincing fashion.

*TUCK RULE
51489, lol, i didnt know there was an asterisk next to SB 36 now.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Thu Jan-11-07 11:41 PM
thanks for informing me.
51490, Like that shit didn't count, FOH.
Posted by CliffDogg, Fri Jan-12-07 01:23 AM
51491, I'd put Montana, Elway, and maybe Cunningham over him
Posted by deemz, Wed Jan-10-07 12:38 PM
for now.

Could change if he wins another SB though.
51492, Cunningham?
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-10-07 12:43 PM
Yall buggin.
51493, hahahhaa
Posted by CliffDogg, Fri Jan-12-07 12:33 AM
51494, As in RANDALL Cunningham?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-24-07 04:48 PM
coming from a guy who still has "Eagle Has Landed" and "Scramble, Randall" Nike posters framed in his living room along with every jersey Randall has worn (well, only two of the Pro Bowl ones), let be the first to say ...

WHA???????

I dunno, man, you'd have to make one hell of a case for me to buy that Randall, in sum, is a better QB than Brady.

Warren Moon, OK, I buy that, Cunningham is awfully tough sell though.
51495, With the way Brady's going..
Posted by Soulbrotha, Fri Jan-12-07 01:06 AM
eventually he will be as great if not greater. I mean dude is young and even Montana confessed in an interview I think about the 3rd SB win of this current Pats dynasty had that it was amazing how young Brady was winning this many back to back...

All this talk of what team he's on, what D is playing or what kinda O-line is playing is just talk. It ain't part of the debate at least in my mind when considering the goats. I'm not buying into the 70's teams being better than the present and all that either..diff time..even the players of today are bigger and stronger and faster..but that's a whole 'nother story..

right now..and we're talking about present-day..Brady's already up there with the best of 'em. Whether you wanna agree or not. The numbers and performances don't lie. A win is a win is a win..it don't matter how dirty or clean it is. If he wins one or two more SB's, best believe folks will crown him...Pats fans and non-Pats fans.

51496, This Is Crazy
Posted by RexLongfellow, Fri Jan-12-07 01:19 AM
As much as I hate Tom Brady (I'm a Jets fan), I realize that he's a beast

But the best QB we've ever seen?
Most of us are between 21-40 and have seen
Joe Montana just crush teams
John Elway take people's hearts
Dan Marino just carry an entire city on his back
Even Brett Favre was just as scary of a QB

I'd put Brady right now in an Aikman class (although I think he's better than Aikman), but best we've ever seen, come on
51497, You're not saying Brady ain't doing that to teams?
Posted by Soulbrotha, Fri Jan-12-07 07:38 PM
Or are the playoff victories some kinda spoof?

I think we gotta separate nostalgia from reality here. Personally Montana will always be the goat in my eyes but as of right now Brady is inching closer and closer..even if he doesn't win as many SB's again he's already as good if not better than Aikman..I'm not going to get into this who he has around him argument..just looking at win for win situations..
51498, people forget Elway's rep. before those two rings
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 11:02 PM
he was the guy who couldn't win the big game. he lost 3 SBs before that and was 7-7 in the playoffs. and as much as marino never had a team really built around him, he doesn't have a ring. favre won 1 and has largely just put up those gaudy regular season stats while having more fun than anyone. I'm still putting montana above brady, but it could change and i think people who don't acknowledge that are fooling themselves.
51499, ..and personally I really think Brady
Posted by Soulbrotha, Sat Jan-13-07 12:49 AM
will likely win at least 1 before his career is over..if he does that best believe the montana vs. brady argument is up for grabs..
51500, in Brady's 11 playoff victories
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-12-07 07:25 AM
the Patriots defense has given up an average of 16 points per game and forced 29 turnovers, or 2.6 per game.
51501, very important fact.
Posted by tonywashington, Sat Jan-13-07 12:43 AM
51502, hmmmmmm
Posted by thoughtprocess, Sat Jan-13-07 02:12 AM
average points given up by their team during their postseason victories:

Montana: 13.2
Elway: 18
Aikman: 15.8
Favre: 17.3
Marino: 15.8

Favre and Elway didn't get as much help, but look at Montana, Aikman (some were arguing Brady was only on Aikman's level), and Marino. I guess it was all their D right?
51503, points per game allowed by defense during playoffs:
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-13-07 03:05 AM
Dan Marino - 26.2
John Elway - 23.9
Steve McNair - 22.1
Peyton Manning - 22.1
Brett Favre - 21.8
Troy Aikman - 20.4
Joe Montana - 18.5

Tom Brady - 16.7
51504, nope, you said during victories.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Sat Jan-13-07 03:26 PM
to prove that brady got more help from his defenses during his wins. but it's not true.
51505, points per game allowed by defense during playoffs:
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-13-07 03:28 PM
Dan Marino - 26.2
John Elway - 23.9
Steve McNair - 22.1
Peyton Manning - 22.1
Brett Favre - 21.8
Troy Aikman - 20.4
Joe Montana - 18.5

Tom Brady - 16.7

to show that Brady gets more help from his defense, period.
51506, i saw it before
Posted by thoughtprocess, Sat Jan-13-07 03:40 PM
but your original point is moot, is it not?
51507, the victories thing was just about turnovers forced
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-13-07 03:44 PM
obviously they didn't have the greatest TO margin in the Denver game (I have to remain a little biased).

but the other numbers stand up...I mean, with a straight face you can't tell me Marino got more help from his defense during the playoffs.
51508, No, I'm not saying this at all.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Sat Jan-13-07 03:56 PM
>obviously they didn't have the greatest TO margin in the
>Denver game (I have to remain a little biased).
>
>but the other numbers stand up...I mean, with a straight face
>you can't tell me Marino got more help from his defense during
>the playoffs.

What I'm saying is the stats were presented in a biased manner to prove a point when really they didn't prove that point at all if you looked at other QBs in those same situations. As you probably know, statistics usually only say something when you make them say something, and it's just a pet peeve of mine when only one side of a story is told by stats. If you had started off with the second set of stats I would have absolutely agreed with you and it would have been much more fairly presented.

51509, all I did was put up a stat
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-13-07 04:13 PM
I never said Montana's defense allowed fewer points per game during his victories.

you made your own assumptions of what I was saying, right?

ha

the point I *did* prove is that Brady has had the best playoff defenses among all those quarterbacks mentioned.

(everyone is biased in their own way in this thread regardless...you've got Patriots fans exaggerating the Colts' offensive personnel, Lach saying no teams would want the players on the Patriots outside of a FEW - Vinatieri, Bruschi, Law, Seymour, Wilfork, Milloy, Harrison, Dillon, Maroney, Branch, Brady...you know, just one or two)
51510, NOT CRAZY!!... read what I have to say ASAP
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 09:56 AM
We agree that the top tier are Elway, Montana, Marino, Favre, Unitas, etc.

Tom's playoff prowess is beyond anything Favre has ever done for sure... Marino too for that matter (yes, I know his teams sucked, blah blah blah). Those two have the gaudy stats because they played at such a high level for so long.

If you watch Brady, especially in the playoffs, you cannot deny that he is one of the best ever at playing the position of Quarterback. Break down tape of his execution of the game plan and the adjustments he makes (on your own, not with Jaws), its unbelievable. He makes everything look so fucking easy that I think some people overlook how insane he really is. Instead of making some kind of Favre-esque absurd underhand throw after scrambling for 10 seconds; Brady will adjust one or two things pre-snap, and fit the ball into a 2 foot window while making it look like child's play. This is just me ranting, but it really is amazing. What's even more amazing is that he still is somewhat underrated in general, with the consensus being that everybody would still want Peyton Manning as THEIR ONE quarterback. As a matter of fact, alot of people say they would take Palmer as well, Brady doesn't get chosen until people say "If you had one game to win..." or "What quarterback would you want in the playoffs down by 7 with 1:00 to go?". Now I do not, nor will I ever understand why you would want another quarterback in general, but when it comes down to winning when it matters, Brady is the choice. That must be the Colt philosophy of racking up stats and some wins when it doesn't matter. Whatever.

Even on the ESPN poll I just read:
"What player would you rather have in the playoffs?"

LaDainian Tomlinson: 72%
Tom Brady: 28%

Whatever.. I guess these people missed the last 5 years of the playoffs, where Brady went 11-1 and Tomlinson got shut down by the Jets.

However, this same poll had the following result as well, so I hope this was just a completely ignorant sample size:

Which coach will do a better job of preparing his team for the opponent?

65.4% Marty Schottenheimer
34.6% Bill Belichick

(I suspect many people would take LT over Brady in the playoffs still either way, which is ridiculous)
But I digress.

The other day Darren Woodson echoed something that I've heard from a few other players. He said that there comes a point where for players like himself and Brady, who have experienced alot of success in playoffs and super bowls, the regular season becomes almost boring for them. They still want to win and love playing the game, but you can see something in their eyes and play in the post-season, it is clear they are on a whole other level -- Brady epitomizes this.

Tommy B is like Montana (as we've heard so many times), his numbers will be solid, not as gaudy as Marino, Favre, etc.; but they will be somewhere near their ballpark; and his playoff numbers will absolutely put him over the top and he just may be considered the best ever. His numbers are already close to Montana's and hes not even 30. As of now... just let Tom Brady do his thing.
51511, if you're down by a FG or less you want Brady, if you need a TD...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 10:15 AM
then you'd want someone else.
51512, you're thinking of Jeff Garcia.. that man will get you in FG position
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 10:27 AM
nm
51513, youre right tho.. if I need a TD.. give me Tim Rattay..
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 10:29 AM
nm
51514, Remeber that time he fumbled the game away against OAK?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-12-07 12:06 PM
On his home field no less!

Oh wait -- that's right. They seemingly invented and willfully misinterpreted a whole rule so that never happened. My bad.

Look, he's a good QB, but let's not get crazy here.
51515, ^^^REAL TALK
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 12:25 PM
51516, Who you should be mad at is those weak ass Rams
Posted by Frank Castle, Sat Jan-13-07 04:56 PM
for letting a team that wasn't supposed to be in the SB because of the "TUCK RULE" beat they sorry asses. Hell you couldn't beat the Pats, what the fuck you think your weak ass rams would of done agaisnt the Raiders or the Steelers?
51517, i think this is a misconception.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 12:35 PM

>
>
>Oh wait -- that's right. They seemingly invented and
>willfully misinterpreted a whole rule so that never happened.
>My bad.
>

it's a terrible rule, it really is, but it wasn't misinterpreted. i think they were told to call everything by the book before this game and so they did, for fear of the job more or less. so basically its a good call on a bad rule, and i'm surprised this rule hasn't been changed yet. i knew they wouldnt change it right away after the season cuz that would be admitting that they were wrong. and its actually gotten even worse since, now they have to call it on things like that rookie throwing the ball down after he was down, but not by contact. ruled an incomplete forward pass, lol.

do i think they got lucky? absolutely. do i think it completely negates the fact that they won the super bowl that year, as you suggested earlier in the post? no, thats fucking ridiculous.
51518, Miss me with the BULLSHIT Pats party line
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-12-07 12:47 PM
>it's a terrible rule, it really is, but it wasn't
>misinterpreted. i think they were told to call everything by
>the book before this game and so they did, for fear of the job
>more or less. so basically its a good call on a bad rule, and
>i'm surprised this rule hasn't been changed yet. i knew they
>wouldnt change it right away after the season cuz that would
>be admitting that they were wrong. and its actually gotten
>even worse since, now they have to call it on things like that
>rookie throwing the ball down after he was down, but not by
>contact. ruled an incomplete forward pass, lol.
>
>do i think they got lucky? absolutely. do i think it
>completely negates the fact that they won the super bowl that
>year, as you suggested earlier in the post? no, thats fucking
>ridiculous.

Even according to the rule it was a bullshit call. His arm is in forward motion, then OBVIOUSLY changes motion as he pulls it into his body. Any sane, rational, clear-minded observer can see his throwing motion had been terminated. His arm was coming IN to his body, NOT moving forward. It's idiotic to suggest otherwise. IDIOTIC. The rule was MISINTERPRETED, so miss me with that "bad rule, right call" bullshit the NFL and Pats fans feed us to pretend like that whole post-season was in any way legit.

IT'S A FUCKING LIE, AND THE MOST BULLSHIT SPORTS CALL I'VE SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE*.

*(minus the Hand of God goal and the 5th Down)
51519, just relax... and listen
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 01:26 PM
the tuck rule is the tuck rule, sorry celery, get over it...

yea, what a bonehead move by Brady, who could possibly fumble the ball away as a result of a solid hit in that weather... how could he do such a thing.. what a bum

EVERYTHING HE HAS DONE SINCE THEN SHOULD BE NULLIFIED!!!
51520, Did I say he was a bad QB?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-12-07 01:51 PM
I just said that you're making his accomplishments bigger than they are.

Make the CORRECT call on the Tuck Rule, even by ITS OWN DEFINITION, and suddenly he's 8-2, only has 2 SBs, and is suddenly more comparable to a guy like Jim Kelly than Joe Montana, or any number of OTHER truly great QBs.

I CAN admit that he's got a shot, if his career continues in the same fashion, of jumping up the list, but right now he's a good QB on a good team, and that's all I can say for him.
51521, he's a Great QB on a Great team, similar to Montana again... and it
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 02:07 PM
it is truly a shame that you feel that way and that you continue to deny yourself the pleasure of allowing the true greatness of Thomas Edward Brady, Junior to wash over you like the calm waters of the Mediterranian Sea and make you feel like all is right with the world

celery!... immerse yourself in all that is... Tom Brady
51522, WTH?! you might want to put at least 1 "no homo" in that son...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-12-07 02:12 PM
>it is truly a shame that you feel that way and that you
>continue to deny yourself the pleasure of allowing the true
>greatness of Thomas Edward Brady, Junior to wash over you like
>the calm waters of the Mediterranian Sea and make you feel
>like all is right with the world
>
>
>celery!... immerse yourself in all that is... Tom Brady
51523, "no homo" is unnecessary if you are half a man
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 02:48 PM
51524, you said he's just "good"; he's obviously more than just a "good" QB
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 02:22 PM
>I just said that you're making his accomplishments bigger
>than they are.

and you're making them smaller than they are.

>Make the CORRECT call on the Tuck Rule, even by ITS OWN
>DEFINITION,

they did.

>and suddenly he's 8-2, only has 2 SBs, and is
>suddenly more comparable to a guy like Jim Kelly than Joe
>Montana, or any number of OTHER truly great QBs.

even if he had only 2 SB's how is that more like Kelly's 0 than Montana's 4? especially since Montana only had 2 SB's at the age Brady is now.

>I CAN admit that he's got a shot, if his career continues in
>the same fashion, of jumping up the list, but right now he's a
>good QB on a good team, and that's all I can say for him.

Matt Hasselbeck is a good QB on a good team - Brady is obviously something more than that.
51525, gracias
Posted by Matinho, Fri Jan-12-07 02:50 PM
51526, WRONG - that's *exactly* what the rule says:
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 02:03 PM
>Even according to the rule it was a bullshit call. His arm is
>in forward motion, then OBVIOUSLY changes motion as he pulls
>it into his body. Any sane, rational, clear-minded observer
>can see his throwing motion had been terminated. His arm was
>coming IN to his body, NOT moving forward. It's idiotic to
>suggest otherwise. IDIOTIC. The rule was MISINTERPRETED, so
>miss me with that "bad rule, right call" bullshit the NFL and
>Pats fans feed us to pretend like that whole post-season was
>in any way legit.
>
>IT'S A FUCKING LIE, AND THE MOST BULLSHIT SPORTS CALL I'VE
>SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE*.

NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: "When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble."

- therefore thoughtprocess is absolutely correct: it's a horrible rule, but the refs called it by the book.

so stop acting all incredulous over it when you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

51527, I can't believe you and I see eye to eye on something
Posted by Lach, Fri Jan-12-07 02:40 PM
I'm bout to go out and play the lottery. lol
51528, we probably see eye to eye on alot of things - you just like to argue
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 03:04 PM
LOL
51529, the man does his research
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 04:04 PM
thanks 40.
51530, I can't believe they haven't changed that rule yet though
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-12-07 04:23 PM
it's been 5 years already, that's more than enough time to distance changing the rule from seeming like they're doing it simply because of that one play. what the hell are they waiting for?
51531, i know, it's dumb
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 04:35 PM
>it's been 5 years already, that's more than enough time to
>distance changing the rule from seeming like they're doing it
>simply because of that one play. what the hell are they
>waiting for?

it's so clearly wrong. i heard that every year before the season they go over all the rules with each team in a meeting and that the year after the tuck rule the raiders were in their meeting and when they heard that the tuck rule was still exactly the same they all walked out of the meeting. lol
51532, I remember in 2002
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-13-07 03:09 AM
they called it sporadically throughout the year, I guess just to show it wasn't one single isolated incident in the history of the NFL

and then they stopped doing it, b/c it is one of the dumbest things you'll ever hear or see in football

I think they tried to throw in the spirit of the rule in 2006 during the Oakland-Chargers game
51533, i already said they were lucky
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-12-07 04:10 PM

>Pats fans feed us to pretend like that whole post-season was
>in any way legit.
>

40thStreetBlack does all the proving in post 199, and btw, even AFTER the Raiders they still had to get by the Steelers (in pittsburgh, 9 point underdogs) and Rams (the greatest show on turf, 14 point underdogs). Nobody gave the Pats a chance against those teams, and rightfully so, but the Pats proved they were legit.

and btw, most championship teams do get lucky somewhere along the way in their postseason run. did we get more lucky than most others? yeah. but still, there's some controversy and debate in alot of those championship teams. let's not act like this is new.
51534, You must be a Raiders fan cause you hurt too?
Posted by Frank Castle, Sat Jan-13-07 04:59 PM
>On his home field no less!
>
>
>Oh wait -- that's right. They seemingly invented and
>willfully misinterpreted a whole rule so that never happened.
>My bad.
>
>
>Look, he's a good QB, but let's not get crazy here.

Cry me a fucking river. Why the Rams aint beat the Pats then? Why the Panthers aint beat em? Why the Eagles aint beat them since "THEY" seemingly invented and willfully misinterpreted a whole rule? WHY IS BRADY STILL WINNING????

51535, RE: "Tom Brady, the best quarterback most of us will ever see...
Posted by Selassie I God, Fri Jan-12-07 12:45 PM
is going to be taking an L this Sunday afternoon.
51536, I've seen at least three guys better
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jan-12-07 07:23 PM
Sorry, it's not a Super Bowl contest, we're talking individual players. Montana has him beat on both fronts, anyway.
51537, so like I was saying...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 02:03 PM
51538, every can have a bad game or lose a game
Posted by CountryRapTunes, Mon Jan-22-07 02:05 PM
ones stock isnt affected that easily
51539, see post# 122. n/m
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 02:10 PM
51540, Where is that reach .gif lol
Posted by CountryRapTunes, Mon Jan-22-07 02:49 PM
51541, We may revisit this post in years to come
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-22-07 02:57 PM
so don't go too far with it.
51542, All I know is the Montana never choked up like that when the game...
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jan-22-07 03:02 PM
...was on the line, a la Brady.
51543, ^^^REAL TALK
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 03:08 PM
51544, montana never threw an INT during a come back attempt?
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jan-22-07 03:13 PM
really? he succeeded on every game-on-the-line drive he ever started?

really?
51545, In the play-offs, when he needed to win the game? No, he was ice cold
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jan-22-07 05:20 PM
Super Bowl XXIII, game on the line. Behind 16-13. There's 3:10 left in the game on they've got the ball on their own eight. You know the rest.

Zero interceptions in four Superbowls. Three MVPs, and a damn good performances in the fourth.

Was he always perfect in the play-offs? No. But when he needed to lead the team to a win, he always did.
51546, the years they lost in the playoffs?
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jan-22-07 05:24 PM
it was never Joe's fault?

okay, i'll take your word for it.

FOH.
51547, did JOE ever have a WR with eyes the size of jupiter dropping
Posted by Matinho, Mon Jan-22-07 03:32 PM
RIDICULOUSLY EASY balls all over the fucking place in the most clutch of situations???... If i remember correctly, Dwight Clark CAUGHT that ball (and that throw was a bit high)

let us not forget the players that Joe Montana played with please... god almighty

Tom Brady made that gang of shitty ass receivers look good for a long time this year... the man can only do so much..

truthfully, this game was on the defense, not on Tom Brady

tell me you would have thought, at the beginning of this season, that jabar gaffney, reche caldwell, and their lack of SPEEEEEDDDDDDD (and multiple other ingredients that make one a good WR) would have been intricate parts of the Pats' O (and if one did think so, would they have thought Brady would have had this successful of a year?)...

please don't hate
51548, bottom line, the Brady hype is built on his game-winning drives but...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 03:57 PM
all those drives only required him to get in FG postion. For the second year in a row when his team needed a TD he blew it.
51549, foh
Posted by Unity777, Mon Jan-22-07 05:52 PM
how are you changing the standard for game winning drives for brady? elway, montana, etc. all had game winning drives leading to fgs, you gonna take that away from them too?

>all those drives only required him to get in FG postion. For
>the second year in a row when his team needed a TD he blew
>it.
51550, Don't bother with it man
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-22-07 04:05 PM
They only remember the ESPN sports hall of fame ads about Joe.
51551, lol, you know when Brady threw that pick you thought about this post
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 04:07 PM
51552, I knew you would resurrect it lol
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-22-07 04:09 PM
I was surprised it took so long actually.
51553, Brady did choke, but I still think its partly the receivers fault
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-22-07 04:06 PM
They can't get open and have a hard time outrunning anyone so the deep ball is extremely hard nowadays. Hopefully, the Pats can correct that problem this offseason. Oh well, I guess Brady is Trent Dilfer now.
51554, I think its Marlin Jackson's fault, how dare he pick off the G.O.A.T.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 04:11 PM
51555, I can't complain
Posted by Lach, Mon Jan-22-07 04:15 PM
I feel the team maximized what it had. And my boy Dillon needs to retire.
51556, In other news, things are looking up for Aaron Brooks
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jan-22-07 02:19 PM
n/m
51557, *Starts "Aaron Brooks Vs. Tom Brady" poll*
Posted by CliffDogg, Mon Jan-22-07 02:57 PM
*waits for it to get locked*
51558, Did anybody see "the G.O.A.T." pulling a Dirk on Troy Brown after...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 04:51 PM
the near interception he threw in the 4th that bounced off Bob Sanders hands?
51559, lol, word.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jan-22-07 04:57 PM
considering what Brown did for him against the Chargers...
51560, I'm sure that was a receiver's fault too
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 04:58 PM
51561, no, it's the defense's fault.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jan-22-07 05:01 PM
they gave up more than 16 points.
51562, hahaha, i love it, you are in your fucking GLORY right now
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-24-07 04:46 PM
keep the throttle down!
51563, lol, Simmons barely even mentions Brady's choke, if he had led the...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 04:57 PM
Pats to a TD half the column would have been about Brady being better than Montana, instead all he says is "After Brady got picked on a desperation drive to end the game"...

"http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070122
51564, what is he? like 12-2 all-time in the playoffs?
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jan-22-07 05:03 PM
yeah, i'd say he's a choker.
51565, last 2 seasons 1-2 and the 1 was a gift, when his team needed a TD...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-22-07 05:05 PM
instead of a FG, he CHOKED.
51566, he must be a CHOKER then
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jan-22-07 05:10 PM
>instead of a FG, he CHOKED.
51567, 3-2 the last two years jerkoff.... stop the hate for once
Posted by Matinho, Wed Jan-24-07 03:37 PM
W - Jax
W - Jets
W - Chargers

L - Denver
L - Indy
51568, 2-2-1
Posted by Selassie I God, Wed Jan-24-07 03:42 PM
>W - Jax
>W - Jets

>
>L - Denver
>L - Indy

>Gift - Chargers
51569, Damn the Pats win even when they lose...lol.
Posted by Frank Castle, Mon Jan-22-07 06:02 PM
Y'all still hating after this loss? I mean damn.....thankyou.
51570, whatever makes you feel better.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-24-07 01:17 PM
51571, i steal avatars that other people stole from other boards:
Posted by Jesse Badgreen, Wed Jan-24-07 04:31 PM
http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/customavatars/avatar4753_71.gif