Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectSoccer is not going away.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=50253&mesg_id=50290
50290, Soccer is not going away.
Posted by FightinAmish, Fri Dec-22-06 01:07 AM
In fact it's growing. Kids don't play hockey anymore and Arena football will always be second class to the NFL. The reason why the NASL didn't survive was because no one played soccer at that time. Once the novelty wore off people realized that they didn't understand the rules, the strategy, the effort, or the skill involved. If it was to slow for people then how do you explain baseball or golf? The answer is that people played baseball and golf. Not only that but their parents played and their grandparents played.

Personally I have been playing soccer since I was four, as did tons of people my age. The problem now is that my parents generation didn't play soccer and their parents generation certainly didn't. This means that the only americans watching soccer are probably around 30 yrs old and younger. While this maybe the prime demographic targeted by television, it's not enough right now considering people of all ages watch football, baseball, and basketball.

In ten years my son will be twelve and probably very much interested in soccer, as will millions of kids across the country. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if by then more kids play soccer in the US than play any other sport. After all soccer is inexpensive and a relatively safe sport that at the very least gives kids a chance to run around and exercise. And, anyone who has played soccer a little bit will say its just as fun as any other sport.

The only thing really holding soccer back in the US is time.