Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRE: aren't you like cicilian?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=47992&mesg_id=48020
48020, RE: aren't you like cicilian?
Posted by Jon, Mon Jan-29-07 08:05 PM
>are you the guy that had the world cup dilemna over france
>and italy? it's a well known fact that moors were in those
>parts of italy back in the day. do you root for mauratania
>soccer? i didn't think so. you and tom brady are in denial.

lol actually, i'm Provencal, which = some kinda mix of french/italian/greek/spanish/moorish. french/italian to be sure. the others to be quite possible. most of my mother's family still lives in the Provence region.

also, my father's mother is from the French side of St Martin, french roots (which also trace back to southern France)...here's the kicker that i think you'll have great fun with: various members of my family openly suspect she had african blood in her from the island. if you look at certain features in that side of the family, it makes you wonder.

but "black"/"white" are genetically sloppy social labels/categories, not truly scientific ones. this means that your black/white status is solely based on how society views you. if society considers you white, then, racially, you're white. ethnically, you're irish/portuguese/swedish/part-african/whatever. if your label is white, then label-wise you're white.

onto THE WORLD CUP lol: i wasn't really having a dilemma between france and italy, so much as i was excited i'd be victorious either way (though i was riding harder for france, even though people who "look like me" were more on the italian team, and there we have the controversy...)

...the controversy was that i was forthright in saying, even though i love Henry/Vierra and all them, i would have had even more fun rooting for the land of my heritage/family if i saw some of my heritage/family in there. cats chose to take it like i was saying i wished there weren't black people on the team, which was not my point. and they didn't believe me when i (truthfully) said that if the team were 90% tall nordic blonds, it would be the same thing for me. either way, i was rooting for France harder than Italy, and cats completely threw my shit way out of proportion. Mexicans root for Mexico cuz that's their bloodlines, their roots. same with blacks rooting for Ghana. but every one of those French guys were proud to rep France, and i was proud of them. was just also looking for my cousins out there.