Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectlots of question marks...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=41990&mesg_id=42144
42144, lots of question marks...
Posted by nighttripper, Tue Jul-11-06 12:20 AM
as for Thuram, who, by the way, I will miss every bit as much as Zidane (he was nothing short of amazing once again in this world cup)...his obvious successor, in terms of influence on the defense and on the team as a whole, is Gallas, who played a fantastic world cup as well. Then there are several candidates for the second central defense spot...Boumsong, Givet, Squillaci if he comes back, this youngster from Bordeaux (Planus). None of them can compare to Lilian, but then again, who can besides Cannavaro?

Or maybe, just maybe...the great Pat could end his career as a sweeper. He's got everything you need and more to do it. Shit, he'd be the black Beckenbauer.

Zidane...well, you definitely can't replace him. Which probably means the system will change and we won't rely on a ubiquitous #10, since I can't think of anybody who could fill that role. It blows, because France traditionally sucks balls when we don't play with that type of technical leader in the midfield (the Papin/Cantona years, after Platini retired and before Zinedine took over, are the most recent example). But for some reason, I feel it could work this time around if Henry manages to play as well with France as he does with Arsenal now that the team *will* be built around him...also if Ribery confirms all the hopes he's generated in this world cup (he was a fucking trooper). And if Malouda gets to the proverbial next level (he's got the talent).

To answer the question, though...I would guess they'll play with one more striker. So numerically, Trezeguet or Cisse will replace Zidane.

Now Makelele is a big loss too, but Diarra can fill his spot. And Rio Mavuba is very promising in this position as well.