Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectyou know, i'll even grant a kernel of truth to this rant
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=36175&mesg_id=36376
36376, you know, i'll even grant a kernel of truth to this rant
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-01-06 10:15 AM
if a white guy made zeke's moves in new york, would he receive as much criticism? it's a fair question to ask. i mean, bob whittsit is the only GM who approaches the sheer mind bending stupidity of the zeke era that i can think of. he didn't exactly get a pass in the national media. we also have to remember that it's basically two sources that drive the zeke debate on this board: bill simmons and bags, neither of which are without agenda. but given simmons's spotty racial record, and given this intangible feeling that there's a certain element of glee in watching the black man fail, and given that we still live in America, yeah, race has been part of the coverage of the zeke era.

but less so than it would be in 95 percent of the coverage of black athletes elsewhere, because zeke's tenure has been truly awful. it's not even like he made moves that made sense at the time and blew up. it seemed as if he was intentionally trying to wreck the knicks. they are moves that everyone and their mother knew were panicked at the time, they made no sense at the time, and what the knicks are today was completely predictable and are a direct result of his moves. when you're mentionned in the same breath as bob whittsit, you know you fucked up. add that to his failure with the cba and the pacers, and you have a guy who shouldn't have a position of authority with any real responsibility in the NBA.