Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectRE: somebody explain beckham to me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=3223&mesg_id=3262
3262, RE: somebody explain beckham to me
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-21-04 01:41 PM
First post, English, I got this one;

Basically, Beckham is an above-average player who has bagged the captaincy because he's the nearest we've ever had to the saintly Bobby Moore, who was skipper in '66. There have been many England players who have been more talented than Beckham, but they've always been flawed by injury, alcoholism, or straight-up ugliness. I've been scratching my head trying to think of an American equivilent of being captain of England, and all I can come up with is a pile of dead skin on me keyboard. Suffice to say, it's a very important title.

To anyone outside of England who wonders why we're so enamoured of someone who has severe difficulty in stringing a sentence together - we don't have a tradition of flamboyant sportspersons. We actually like them to be humble, straightforward and nice. We value Frank Bruno over Prince Naz, because the former was endearingly bumbling and the latter was too arrogant, professional and, well, American for our liking.

Did you hear that a British TV show about the most important Black people in the country had Beckham as #1, incidentally?