Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectBears release Colombo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29629
29629, Bears release Colombo
Posted by sunngodd, Wed Sep-14-05 09:23 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bear14.html

Bears release Colombo

September 14, 2005

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

One front-office member said several times during the last few seasons that if the Bears had 53 players with Marc Colombo's determination, they never would lose.

That's how hard he worked, but Colombo's battle back from a gruesome left knee injury suffered as a rookie in 2002 ended Tuesday -- at least with the Bears. They placed him on waivers and signed veteran offensive lineman John St. Clair to take his spot.

Colombo, the first first-round pick made by general manager Jerry Angelo, was a promising prospect as a rookie with a nasty demeanor and a love for the game. But he dislocated his knee in his fifth start, and nerve damage made his recovery long, painful and ultimately unsuccessful in the eyes of the club.

The Bears predicted that he would be back for training camp in 2003, but he missed the entire season. He remained on the physically unable to perform list until Week 10 last year. When he got back on the field, he was not the same player as the injury robbed him of strength and flexibility. At 6-8, Colombo needed to bend to get leverage. Orders came from the front office to play him at the end of the season, and he started the final two games but did not perform well.

Colombo was relegated to No. 2 at right tackle during camp this summer, and with the Bears keeping only eight linemen on the roster, they needed a more versatile player. St. Clair, who blocked for Bears running back Thomas Jones at Virginia, can play all five positions, though he is viewed mostly as a tackle and said he is most comfortable there. He started 16 games at right tackle for the Miami Dolphins last season but was waived Sept. 7.

Originally a third-round pick by the St. Louis Rams, St. Clair has started 30 of the 46 games he has appeared in. The Bears signed him to a one-year contract for the minimum salary benefit after persuading him not to rejoin the Rams, who lost ex-Bear Rex Tucker to a right leg injury Sunday.

"I had a good experience in St.Louis,'' St. Clair said. "I just wanted to go with a different team. It's a good situation here, a good team. I know coach Smith, and he was always great. Coming here to play for him is a win-win situation.

"I was very surprised what happened in Miami, but this is a fresh start.''

--------------------------------------
"Why good God man, what's happening to your woman? They're making her a drug addict. They're making her a prostitute. They're making her a lesbian...because you and I won't stand up and be men." - Malcolm X