Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHere, bitches.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29623
29623, Here, bitches.
Posted by LiquidDope, Thu Sep-01-05 07:00 PM
Preview of tonight's game.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=10317

Backups Blake, Kittner step into QB spotlight
By Larry Mayer
September 1, 2005

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Rookie Kyle Orton will make his starting debut in tonight's preseason finale against the Browns, but he isn't the only Bears quarterback who hopes to take advantage of a new opportunity.

With good performances, veteran Jeff Blake can cement his job as the backup and Kurt Kittner can dissuade the organization from seeking a third-stringer on the waiver wire after NFL teams make their final roster cuts on Saturday.

Blake, a 14-year NFL veteran, joined the Bears Aug. 14, two days after Rex Grossman was sidelined for 3-4 months with a broken left ankle in a preseason loss in St. Louis.

The 34-year-old has completed 56.3 percent of his career passes for 21,656 yards with 133 touchdowns, 99 interceptions and a 77.9 quarterback rating for the Jets (199-93), Bengals (1994-99), Saints (2000-01), Ravens (2002), Cardinals (2003) and Eagles (2004).

"Jeff is getting more comfortable each day," said coach Lovie Smith. "Jeff has played a lot of football, thrown a lot of passes. The terminology changes from team to team, but not much more than that.

"We're talking a lot about Kyle, but I'm excited about what Jeff will be able to do for us too. We will play Jeff quite a bit in this game. He will get the majority of the reps for this game. He hasn't gotten as many reps as Kyle, so this is an important week for him."

After failing to connect on his only pass Aug. 20 in Indianapolis, Blake completed 2 of 5 passes for 28 yards in last Friday's win over the Bills.

Unemployed only a few weeks ago, the 6-1, 223-pounder feels fortunate to be the Bears' No. 2 quarterback and plans on making the most of the situation.

"I'm glad that the organization gave me this opportunity because they could have brought somebody else in," Blake said. "They could have brought a number of guys in that are out there, but they decided to bring me in. I just appreciate the opportunity."

Kittner feels the same way. After being cut by five NFL teams in seven months and spending last season out of football, he has a chance to land a roster spot with the Bears.

The Schaumburg native, who played for Ron Turner when the Bears offensive coordinator was head coach at Illinois, was named MVP of the World Bowl this past spring, leading the Amsterdam Admirals to the NFL Europe championship.

"You just need to go in and keep working and don't ever quit," Kittner said of pursuing his dream to play in the NFL.

"Wait your turn and if you get another opportunity, make the most of it because to be truthful they don't come around very often."

Finishing kick: Despite making only a brief appearance tonight, the Bears' first-team defense hopes to build on its success while preparing for the Sept. 11 opener in Washington.

The starters have permitted just one touchdown on 25 possessions this preseason for a defense that ranks No. 1 in the NFL against the run, yielding an average of 57 yards per game.

"We just want to continue our success that we've had and play well," said safety Mike Brown. "I don't know how much playing time we're going to get, but we just want to end on a good note and enter the season feeling good about ourselves and ready to roll."

Too close to call: The closest competition for a starting job entering tonight's season finale is at right guard, where Terrence Metcalf is trying to hold off Roberto Garza. Both are expected to play with the first team tonight as they did last Friday against Buffalo.

Cain is able: With long-snapper Patrick Mannelly nursing a calf injury, linebacker Jeremy Cain is expected to snap on punts for the second straight game. The second-year pro handled eight snaps against Buffalo without incident and hopes to improve his chances of earning a job.

"It's definitely a great opportunity," said Cain, a long-snapper in high school and for all four seasons at Massachusetts. "Any way to make the 53-man roster, I'm all for it."

Gabe again: With Brad Maynard also still bothered by a calf injury, Gabe Lindstrom is expected to handle the punting chores tonight against Cleveland. Lindstrom is averaging 42.8 yards on 20 punts this preseason with two touchbacks and five punts inside-the-20.