Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectTeammates welcome Benson back
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29618
29618, Teammates welcome Benson back
Posted by LiquidDope, Tue Aug-30-05 02:48 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/insideTheBears.jsp?id=10239

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Having experienced their own contract holdouts, John Tait and Adewale Ogunleye can relate to Cedric Benson's situation and insist that he'll be welcomed back with open arms by teammates.
Benson arrived at Halas Hall Monday morning after agreeing to a five-year contract on Sunday, ending a 36-day holdout that was the longest by a rookie in team history.

Tait, the Bears' veteran left tackle, held out for 47 days as a rookie first-round draft pick with the Kansas City Chiefs in 1999, not signing until three days before the start of the regular season.

"I don't think there's one guy in this room that's resentful," Tait said as he glanced around the locker room. "It happens. It's his private business that he took care of and now he's kind of in our world with the players and coaches and he doesn't have to worry about the front office.

"We're looking forward to the season. We're glad he's here and it's time to get to work."

Ogunleye, a fifth-year defensive end, held out of training camp last summer with the Miami Dolphins seeking a long-term deal that he didn't secure until being traded to the Bears in exchange for receiver Marty Booker.

"It's not the same (situation), but I understand what he had to do," Ogunleye said. "It's a business. People have to understand this game is business first. That's how it's operated and everything else is second. From the front office down to the players, everybody's got to handle their business first and then we get to the game on Sunday."

Tait feared the worst after ending his holdout in Kansas City, but he was pleasantly surprised with the reception he received upon rejoining his teammates.

"I was really surprised because there are a lot of people who try to scare you into thinking it's going to be horrible and the guys are going to hate you and stuff like that," he said. "But it's not even close to being like that.

"I think you're surprised how welcoming everybody is. All the horror stories that you hear-people saying how your teammates are going to resent you for it-that's really not the case, and I really don't see it being the case here with Cedric."

Benson no doubt will have to carry veterans' shoulder pads off the practice field and make a food run or two, but there doesn't appear to be any animosity from his teammates.

"He's part of the team," Ogunleye said. "He's going to be one of the 53 guys, so we've got to bring him in and treat him as we would treat any other player. He's one of our teammates. He's going to be a part of this effort to push for the playoffs and the Super Bowl, so we're going to need him."

Tait, who started three games and played in nine others as a rookie, said the greatest challenge Benson likely will face is getting back into football shape after such a long layoff.

"I hadn't practiced for a long time, so I really needed to work hard on the practice field and get back into it and get in shape," Tait said. "I'm sure he's going to have that same type of adjustment period where he hasn't been in pads for a long time.

"It just takes time as far as being in pads. There are really no drills or running sprints that you can do to simulate being in a game situation where you're coming on and off the field for a 12-play drive, then a three-and-out and things like that."