Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectOrton named starting QB for the regular season opener
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29614
29614, Orton named starting QB for the regular season opener
Posted by doberman, Sun Aug-28-05 04:03 PM
LiquidDope please do us the honor...

-------------
Orton named Bears starting QB; Hutchinson plummets
Pasquarelli
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Rookie quarterback Kyle Orton, whose inconsistent performance last season at Purdue dropped him into the fourth round of the draft, will be the Chicago Bears starter for the regular-season opener, the team announced on Sunday.

The elevation of Orton to the No. 1 spot on the depth chart was not totally unexpected following a poor performance by starter Chad Hutchinson in Friday night's preseason game. Hutchinson registered a 0.0 passer rating in the game and, for the preseason, his rating is an anemic 23.1.

On the flip side, Orton has generally performed well in preseason, albeit against backup players from the opposition defenses he has faced. The former Purdue star, who was just the seventh quarterback chosen in this year's draft and the 106th prospect taken overall, has completed 27 of 42 passes for 409 yards, with two touchdown passes and a pair of interceptions, for a passer rating of 92.3.

Chicago veterans were largely complimentary of Orton following Friday's game. Said center Olin Kreutz: "You think about that 'it,' and whatever that is, he's got it."

The Bears lost their projected starter, former first-round draft choice Rex Grossman, two weeks ago to a broken ankle that could sideline him the entire 2005 season. Grossman was able to start only three games in 2004 before suffering a season-ending knee injury.

In a major shakeup on the depth chart, Hutchinson plummeted off the depth chart Sunday, with veteran Jeff Blake, signed after the injury to Grossman, moving into the No. 2 slot. Kurt Kittner is No. 3 in the playing rotation.

"I'm not scared at all about being a rookie quarterback," Orton said Sunday. "I think I'm where I need to be. ... I have a lot of improvement I can make. Now I've got to quicken that process."

Orton, 22, entered the 2004 college season considered as one of the frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy, started the year strong, then saw his play deteriorate after the first four games of the year. In 44 appearances at Purdue, including 35 starts, Orton completed 786 of 1,336 passes for 9,337 yards, with 63 touchdown passes and 28 interceptions. For his career, he averaged 219.39 yards per game in total offense.

Regarded as a bit of a steal in the fourth round, Orton signed a four-year, $1.84 million contract that included a $458,000 signing bonus.