Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectEhh, for whatever this is worth.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29507
29507, Ehh, for whatever this is worth.
Posted by LiquidDope, Mon Aug-08-05 07:10 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9552

Madden likes Bears' chances in NFC North
By Larry Mayer
August 5, 2005

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - John Madden thinks that a football resurgence may soon take place along Chicago's lakefront.
Watching practice from the sideline Thursday night at Soldier Field, the popular ABC television analyst said that he believes the Bears will contend for the NFC North title in 2005.

Popular TV analyst John Madden will broadcast Monday night's Hall of Fame Game between the Bears and Dolphins.
"I like the Bears going into this season because of the division they're in," Madden said. "That's the first thing you always have to do is win your division and there's no dominant team. Some people say Minnesota or Green Bay, but they really aren't powers that are going to dominate."

Madden likes what he sees from a revamped Bears offense that benefits from the return of a healthy Rex Grossman and was bolstered in free agency with the addition of All-Pro receiver Muhsin Muhammad and linemen Fred Miller and Roberto Garza.

"I think you just assume that Rex Grossman is going to play and play well," Madden said. "That's big. And then you assume that Cedric Benson is going to sign and you've got a 1-2 punch there. I know Muhsin Muhammad is a great player. So you've added something to a bad offense. I like the offensive line the way it is now too.

"I think there are some good things there, but the Bears have to still be about defense. That's what Lovie Smith is and that's what the Bears have always been."

The Bears defense has the potential to dominate this season with the return of a handful of injured starters including middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and safety Mike Brown.

"They lost Urlacher in the first practice (last training camp) and then they lost Mike Brown later and that's the middle of their defense," Madden said. "All defense starts from the middle and you have to have a strength there. Having Urlacher healthy and Mike Brown behind him, those are some good things."

Madden is looking forward to broadcasting Monday night's Hall of Fame Game between the Bears and Miami Dolphins in Canton, Ohio. With the Bears slumping in recent seasons, Madden hasn't worked many of their games.

Quarterback Rex Grossman's return from injury has bolstered the Bears offense.
The former Oakland Raiders head coach jumped to Monday Night Football in 2002 after spending 20 years as an analyst with CBS and Fox.

"I love Chicago," Madden said. "I miss the Bears being good. When the Bears are good, all is well in the NFL. I really believe that. I don't say that everywhere I go.

"The most fun year I ever had in broadcasting was with the '85 Bears. You came to Chicago and everyone was a Bears fan and everything was Bears. They had great players and character and characters. That whole thing, it doesn't get any better than that.

"You could build a monument for what the NFL should be or what kind of year you'd like to have and have that '85 Bears season be the prototype.

"When you see them down, it's not as much fun. You need those Bear-Packer games to be big games. You can say you have a rivalry, but if both teams aren't good, it's not a rivalry. There has to be something pretty big on the line."