Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectBradley making major strides early in camp
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29491
29491, Bradley making major strides early in camp
Posted by LiquidDope, Thu Jul-28-05 03:03 AM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9333

By Larry Mayer
July 27, 2005

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - After struggling in OTA workouts in June, Mark Bradley is performing in training camp like the promising young player the Bears envisioned when they selected him in the second round of the draft.
No wide receiver in camp possesses a better combination of size, strength and speed-and no one has made greater strides in the last month than Bradley.

"I wanted to come in (in June) and make a good first impression," Bradley said. "I think I pressed a little too hard, which turned into drops.

"I got a little frustrated early on, but I stayed on it, (receivers) coach (Darryl) Drake stayed on me, and I started to settle down and felt comfortable with the routes and the speed and aggressiveness of the defense. It was kind of hard for me, but it paid off in the end."

Bradley has the potential to be the Bears' best open-field runner at the wide receiver position, and now that he's catching the ball consistently, the 6-1, 200-pounder has the chance to emerge as a big-play threat.

The Oklahoma product is determined to contribute on offense and special teams as a rookie.

"I've got to come in and expect to get the ball," Bradley said, "and when it comes my way turn everything into positive plays."

Wideout Muhsin Muhammad makes a diving catch Wednesday at training camp.
Catch this: Muhsin Muhammad made another spectacular catch in Wednesday morning's practice, diving over the middle to haul in a Rex Grossman pass during a two-minute drill.

"It was an amazing catch," Grossman said. "Every day he surprises me with how good he is. He's making our other guys better. He's the leader of that receiver corps. They follow him and they watch what he does. Some of those guys are really making strides."

Peanut power: Cornerback Charles Tillman got the best of Muhammad on one play Wednesday, deflecting a Grossman pass in the end zone up in the air and then intercepting it.

With Grossman in pursuit, Tillman raced down the left sideline, not stopping until he playfully collapsed in a heap after scoring a touchdown.

"I was going to stop, but I heard (defensive backs) coach (Perry) Fewell yelling, 'score, score,'" Tillman said. "I was going to stop at about the 50, but Rex kept going and I was like, 'I can't get caught by a quarterback.' I thought that would look pretty bad if they caught that on camera."

"I just wanted to get some cardio in," Grossman joked. "It's training camp. I'm trying to get in shape and I might as well give it a shot."

Aches & pains: Linebacker Marcus Reese missed Wednesday night's practice after injuring his shoulder in the morning session when he was pancaked by 330-pound guard Steve Edwards. ... Fullback Marc Edwards (hamstring) and offensive lineman A.J. Ricker (ankle) sat out both sessions. ... Safety Jerrell Pippens returned after missing two days with turf toe.

A day at camp: Oppressive heat and torrential rain the first few days of camp gave way to cool and comfortable conditions Wednesday. "I can breathe today!" cornerback Jerry Azumah declared while stretching before practice. ... Grossman looked sharp during a red zone drill, connecting with tight end Dustin Lyman and receiver Bernard Berrian for TDs. ... At the conclusion of two-minute drills, Doug Brien made a 44-yard field goal and Nick Novak missed a 54-yard attempt. ... In Wednesday night's practice, defensive tackle Alfonso Boone stuffed running back Adrian Peterson in the backfield, safety Chris Harris knocked running back Antoineo Harris on his behind with a well-timed hit and Azumah took reps as a punt returner.