Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectAnd finally, the YT OkaySports loves to hate the most
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=29305&mesg_id=29445
29445, And finally, the YT OkaySports loves to hate the most
Posted by LiquidDope, Sat Jul-16-05 12:04 PM
Even more than me (that's really saying something)

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9098

Healthy Urlacher returns to anchor Bears defense
By Larry Mayer
July 14, 2005

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Perennial Pro Bowl middle linebacker Brian Urlacher returns to anchor the Bears defense after missing seven games with hamstring and lower leg injuries during a frustrating 2004 season.

During offseason workouts, Brian Urlacher showed no ill effects of the hamstring and leg injuries that sidelined him last season.
Urlacher still managed to register 105 tackles with two forced fumbles and 5½ sacks in limited action, but his absence was evident as the Bears went 0-7 when he wasn't in the lineup.

Weakside linebacker Lance Briggs built on his impressive rookie season, leading the Bears with 168 tackles and returning an interception for a touchdown for the second straight year.

Though the Bears considered other options in free agency, they're confident in Hunter Hillenmeyer's ability to play the strongside position.

Holdovers Jeremy Cain, Joe Odom and Marcus Reese will compete for backup positions with Derrick Ballard, Stephen Larsen, Rod Wilson and LaVar Woods.

Bears linebackers coach Bob Babich answers questions about the position:

Did Brian Urlacher show any lingering effects from his hamstring injury this offseason?

Brian went through everything in the spring, so I believe that his health is very good. He did a fantastic job (in offseason workouts). He's playing at a high level and he's the type of guy who really wants to be the best he can be. He's working extremely hard and we expect big things from Brian this fall.

Where do you think Brian ranks among NFL middle linebackers?

I don't know how good the other linebackers are. I just know that it would be hard for me to imagine many linebackers better than him. He's big, fast, smart and athletic. He plays extremely hard and he makes plats. I don't feel comfortable comparing him to other linebackers, but I know that he's a great football player.

How does Brian make his teammates better?

Obviously he's a playmaker and that helps the team. Secondly the "Mike" linebacker makes all the calls and the checks for the defense and he does a great job vocalizing those things. He also brings a level of enthusiasm and leadership that really helps the team.

Weakside linebacker Lance Briggs has returned an interception for a touchdown in each of his first two NFL seasons.
How talented is Lance Briggs and what must he do to reach the next level?

Lance also had a very good spring. He's working extremely hard to take care of the little things that he needs to improve to take it to the Pro Bowl level. We expect Lance to have a very big year also. Lance is not only an athletic playmaking linebacker, but he's extremely smart and he understands the defense. Very rarely does he make mistakes.

Can strongside linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer be a productive member of the defense?

Hunter has done a fantastic job for us. He's extremely intelligent. He doesn't make very many mistakes and he put himself in position to make plays in the spring. We've been very pleased with his play and we think that he definitely can play winning football for us.

How entrenched is Hunter as a starter?

He's entrenched as the starter. The backups are Marcus Reese, Stephen Larsen and Derrick Ballard. Hunter has taken over that spot. For somebody to beat him out, they'd have to do a good job.

Who do you anticipate being your top reserves this season?

We typically keep six linebackers. Joe Odom, Marcus Reese and Jeremy Cain have been in the system for a year and they've picked up things pretty well. They'll be competing with Rod Wilson, LaVar Woods, Derrick Ballard and Stephen Larsen. The guys who were backups last year are going to compete with the new guys and whoever ends up making the most plays and proves us that they can play winning football on special teams, that's going to be a big part of (determining who earns backup positions).

What excites you most as you head into training camp?

With Brian and Lance, we have two Pro Bowl-caliber linebackers. But the thing that has been impressive to me is that for the second year in the system, they've picked it up extremely well. We've been able to go on to implement the little things within the system that can take you to the next level as a defense, and that's very important to get us to where we want to go.

What one question or concern would you like to answer in camp?

The linebackers are always in there banging around and we just need to make sure we have depth and that whoever steps in if somebody goes down can play winning football.

Which one player are you most eager to see when the pads come on in camp?

I'm eager to see all the guys that we haven't seen in pads. It's a lot different being out there without the pads on, running around and looking athletic as opposed to when you put the pads on and make sure that you're physical enough to play winning football.

What are your impressions of seventh-round draft pick Rod Wilson?

For a young man who played quarterback, wide receiver, safety and linebacker in college, I think that he is an instinctive linebacker. That was something that we needed to find out and that has been a plus. And he's learned extremely well.

What about LeVar Woods?

LeVar Woods is a veteran. He's been through four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. When you're a four-year veteran, you have some advantages. You understand what it takes to play at this level and that obviously can help you.