Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectWill the Sex Boat be docked?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=27477&mesg_id=27601
27601, Will the Sex Boat be docked?
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Oct-14-05 03:24 PM
Angry Vikes owner plans conduct code for teamESPN.com news services

Fuck everyone if this affects either the Twins or Gophers new stadiums, as has been rumored.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Friday he had met with players to express his anger and embarrassment over reports of sexual misconduct on a charter cruise last week, and vowed to do all he could to prevent further scandals.

Wilf, in his first comments since the story broke, said the team will institute a code of conduct that demands "high standards, high morals and success."

In his remarks to players, Wilf said, "I expressed my anger and I expressed my embarrassment, my embarrassment on behalf of my family and for the people who work hard here."

Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boats' owners, has said cornerback Fred Smoot paid for one of the cruises on Lake Minnetonka last week. A total of about 90 people were present, Doyle said. They returned to shore more than two hours early when crew members complained of wild, lewd behavior.

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is investigating, and no charges have been filed.

Wilf said the team will cooperate fully with Hennepin County.

Wilf said he had already called Gov. Tim Pawlenty to apologize and planned more such calls to community leaders and NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Wilf and the Vikings have been pursuing state money for a new $675 million stadium in Anoka County. Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, who told the West Central Tribune that Wilf called him on Wednesday to apologize for the sex scandal, said the stadium deal is "literally off the radar screen."

Wilf also said head coach Mike Tice's job is not in jeopardy. The Vikings, expected to have a strong team this season, are off to a 1-3 start.

Wednesday, Smoot's agent, Bus Cook, told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the cornerback didn't pay for any of the cruises.

"Fred Smoot did not pay for this boat trip in any way," Cook said. "He didn't write a check for it. He didn't put it on his credit card. He did not pay money in any regard for this trip."

Cook, however, didn't deny that Smoot was one of the players in attendance.