Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectVikes...hmmm...we'll see....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=22784&mesg_id=22958
22958, Vikes...hmmm...we'll see....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Apr-24-05 08:22 AM
<RE: Huge mistake by the Vikes IMO n/m>

well, i'll admit that, based on the admitedly VERY LITTLE knowledge I had about the college players..(i dont have time watch college ball at all)...my knowledge of these guys comes from the media hype and game clips that the show, interviews with the players and gut instinct)...

so with that in mind, based on my limited knowledge, i too was thinking the Vikes would take Mike Williams if he was available...

I had seen an interview with the kid and he seemed like a level headed dude, and they showed some clips and i was very impressed by those...cat made some NICE receptions, made it look real easy and natural...kinda like a baby Chris Carter (heard he even went to CCs practice/conditioning training school in the off season)...

so yeah when it came to 7 and he was available i thought we'd snag him...

i had also started hearing that we migh be thinking of going another direction though and we did with the Williamson pick...

i hadn't seen anything on this kid. (still haven't seen any clips). Only thing i had heard was that he's a burner, he's really fast.

so yeah while i was suprized we didn't pick Williams..a solid guy who seems like a very reliable and safe pick...depending on how complete Williamson actually is, it kinda makes sense when you think about whos already there in the purple reciever corps...

I'm thinking Burleson and Mike Williams have kinda similar type games...mid range route guys guys, solid reliable catchers. They are about the same size... and i've been a Nate fan since we first brought him in and i think its just a matter of him getting opprtunities to show what he can do, started getting those chances last year with Randy hurt...Nate made some crucial, crunch time plays and i think (and hope) we'll see more of that from him this year with No Randy at all...

So... mid range route guys...Nate and M Williams both fall into that category. Short to mid range guys? We've already got Wiggins our TE (who i'm also a big fan of..guy gets pounded regularly and still holds that ball and makes that catch) and don't forget we get my boy Jimmy Kliensesser back this year hopefully healthy and fully healed and ready to go. Before he went out for surgery I felt he was on the verge of blowing up so if comes back ready to roll then we'll have the short to mid range covered...

And we've got Robinson who i think will be the red zone guy, the leaper if he can stay healthy. Robinson is taller than Williams but I think Williams could have probably fallen into this category too...mid range and good red zone target.

So we've got several catchers on the squad in lowrange to midrange route zone...several

now...how about the deep threat to counter that...who do we have?

Kelly Campbell...thats all we've got now. Just one cat really. And I like Kelly too...dude is fast. But the one thing he has going against him is that he's kinda little...and since he can't wear stacks on the field there's nothing he can do about his size...

Evidently thats where Williamson comes in...Hes a little like Kelly Campbell...a very fast cat, the difference being that Williamson a bigger fast target...maybe three four inches taller i think...and with Randy gone we just have more of a need to have a bigger version of Kelly Campbell streaking downfield...a taller field stretching burner ...thats IS what we NEED moreso than another middle range chain moving reciever...even if that middle range reciever seems to be very very good and very very reliable as Williams does...

at least thats what i have convinced myself of anyway :)

I think Mike Williams will be great in Detroit...they already have a big field streching burner on their corps so they get a great mid range guy to counter that with him.

I saw a quote from one of the vikings coaches after the pick say something like...

'...look, I can COACH a guy to LEARN how to run good routes...but i CAN'T coach speed...i cant coach a guy to blow the top of defenders with speed and quickness. THAT speed & quickness is a gift that some guys just have naturally...a lot of guys run fast but not everyone can PLAY fast...and this Troy Williamson kid has that 'fast' gift naturally so he has tremendous potential...'

again thats not a direct quote, but thats essentially what he said..apparently all of the coaches in the Vikes unanimously had Williamson higher on their charts than Williams even if Randy was still in the equasion...

so we'll see how this all pans out...

In the mean time i'm gonna try to find some clips of Williamson to see what he can do...